Use Sysprep on an "Upgraded" Computer

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by yushir, Mar 25, 2011.

1. yushir

yushir MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2008
    I used in-place upgrade between Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise (using the method listed on this site).

What happens now is that, when i'm trying to do deployment, sysprep keeps saying that i can't use it on upgraded machines (which in fact, refers to OS-between upgrades, XP-Vista, Vista-7, etc) but it seems it also detects those in-place repairs as upgrades.

Is there any way to remove the info left by the upgrade, so that it believes is a "clean" system, as it likes to say? Or shall the binary be modified for it to be ran without that check?

I must note that Vista/WS2008 sysprep runs fine, as i think it isn't designed to block "Enterprise" systems. It should be harmless to run it, but i want to be sure that there's no other way.

If left with no choice i'd simply replicate the images and let the conflicts, if any is real, occur.

Thanks.

2. yushir

yushir MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2008
    I found the solution, works on Windows 7:

They should do a post about this, because in-place repair counts as an *upgrade* when really it isn't.

This post may be locked at this point.

URL: ht tp://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2management/thread/9f845382-c16a-4b09-9557-858e1866f2e1/