Use WinToUSB for create an WinToGo Workspace from/in Build 9901

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pisthai, Jan 19, 2015.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Trying the tool as we speak with 9879 iso on my usb3 stick 32gb !! Let you know if it wil boot :tea:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    try the rufus v 1.3.4 should load the image.:tea:

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    May both of you hadn't realized that I clearly would like to get 9901 to work as WinToGo! And: I would like to use WinToUSB for to create that drive for several reason:
    1. I could use to clone the whole installed Windows Version without the need of reinstalling all required Apps!
    2. If that works, it's just an One to Go and not and bunch of installations of each required apps!

That will save quite a bit of time and effort!

An other reason is, I could use the same activation as on the Master Computer, and I would run that WinToGo USB Drive on any other Computer which has the required hardware resources with out the need of Re-Activatons!

@!MS-User: Rufus is quite OK but: you could NOT use Rufus for to create an WinToGo Workspace/Drive! That's simply impossible! Before jumping to any assumption, get to first the details and knowledge about what should or could be done!

@endbase: same to you: please stick to the details I posted in the OP! There wouldn't be a go around using different build, means older as the latest available one which is 9901!

I use more than 10 USB 3.0 HDD for service all running Windows 8.1 To Go using the activation and license of my legal Enterprise. This Drives are for real work and Services and not for to play around! To be at all times Up To Date, with the latest OS: Windows 10 TP latest build, I use additional USB HDD's and have builds 9848 and 9879 already working on 2 HDD's. But that were not done with WinToUSB, it were done manually and that need's! That's why I like to get WinToUSB top work properly.

In mean time I'd created that HDD again, this time done the Partitioning fully manually! At the first try, I realized that the System Reserved Partition were not created correctly, so I done that again. in a short time I'll know it works!

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Done! And Works Fine Now!

OK, the boot process need quite some time while the creation of the drive again just needed 20min!

The newly running external USB 3.0 HDD is an exact clone of the internal HDD and fully activated on default! ALL apps are on it's places.

Because the Main HDD is an 320GB as well as the external USB 3.0 HDD, I limited the Boot Partition to 200GB. There wasn't any problem with that! Not to night, tomorrow morning I'll connect that new Windows To Go drive to my Desktop and boot from that USB Drive to check that Activation etc. all is working well too!

If it further on works as it does now, it will save me a lot of time and effort! Work will get quite a bit more easy!!

6. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    @pisthai Fine that it works out after all ;)

7. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    I was able to create Windows To Go for W7, W8.1 and W10TP a while ago using WinToUsb2.0beta, it worked very nicely.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    OK, tested the newly created WindowsToGo Workspace Drive on my desktop and it's just working fine too! Also activation is working with no problems, even it's not an real WindowsToGo drive, because that would be only if it were created from within Windows Enterprise version.

Several fact's I believe I should mention:
    1. Booting the first time on an different machine will need much longer than usual because it need to get the hardware required drivers downloaded and installed. That said, an working Internet connection is mandatory for to get all needed to work properly. That booting process could take up to an hour or even more, depend on the Internet connection speed and the size etc. of the needed drivers! Restarted after that, the boot process is quite fast, near same as on the internal HDD of the same pc used.
    2. The needed free space on the Media used for the new WinToGo drive must be at least 20% or more bigger than the whole content of the drive?OS to use for to create that Workspace!
    3. The Media need to be partitioned manual up front of installation with and 1. Partition as System Reserved and the 2. Partition as Boot Drive Min. size of the Boot Partition must be as stated above in 2.!
    4. This installation isn't an 'real' WindowsToGo install because Cloning Technology for to create an WindowsToGo alike Drive/Workspace! Did that matter? I don't think so!
    5. It's the whole content of the Master HDD which will be created on the new external Storage device and that includes ALL Data and installed Apps! It's like an Mirror of the that HDD used for to create it!
    6. Time of creation is fast, around 20min on an Laptop with 4Core i5-2450M CPU and 8GB Ram using USB3.0! HDD is an Seagate 320GB 2.5" with 5400rpm running in an external SmartDrive USB 3.0 case with max 5GB/s connection.
    7. Running on an other machine as the master, to enable the internal Storage Drives, you'll need to use Windows Disk Management for to enable those drives, they're not enabled by default! (but that could be because of the Security of my Desktop, which is very high, on the laptop all drives were visible after creation of the drive!)

Overall, WinToUSB works very well and they'd done an very job with them development. Saving a lot of time for to re install all Apps after creation of the WindowToGo drive because the job is done as an real cloning of an existing drive with it's whole content!

I'll for use any new coming build of W10TP for to re-check! But, as it looks right now, in future I'll use WinToUSB for to create new WinToGo Drives, the no need of re-install Apps and data and save a lot of time therefore, is the main point for using. That I'll finally use an legal Windows Enterprise for it, is also sure because I use those drives for to service our customers and we didn't use any pirated apps for our work!