Used ASSETT reset on Optiplex Fx160, now stuck in Manufacturing mode

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Oz, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #1 Oz, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
    [SOLVED] ASSETT reset on Optiplex Fx160

Used the ASSETT PASS:12/31 on a Dell Optiplex FX160, and it worked in resetting the BIOS, now suddenly rest of BIOS showed up, and SLIC2.1 has showed it's face.

Problem is that since ASSET field in BIOS has the PASS:12/31 in it, on every boot it enter Manufacturing Mode and all is reset. Can't get to boot from the external DVD drive I used to load ASSET to start with.

Anyone know the trick to get it out of this mode, or to get it to a DOS stage so I can clear the ASSET line?
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    EDIT, worked out a way, removed SSD and SATA Hard drive and it could only boot from one device, which was my external DVD drive. Removed ASSET tag and all is back to normal, well apart from a SLIC2.1 in BIOS now ;)

2. d3v1L

d3v1L MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2010
    i did it for optiplex 330 and workd like charm. after full reset it prompts you to press Alt+F2 and after that it will restart normally.

3. boboche

boboche MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2009
    So, what are the steps and files to get an FX160 to SLIC2.1? Bios recovery alone with original service tag would do it?

I've just got my hands on one, and I don't see SLIC tables in its bios.

4. boboche

boboche MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2009
    Yes that would be much appreciated, I'm sure there are a lot of people with FX160 googling and finding this exact thread.

5. scrotty

scrotty MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2008
    #7 scrotty, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
    I've got myself into the same situation and am stuck in the manufacturing mode loop. The problem I have is that the internal NVRAM has got a boot loader on which throws an error about not finding any bootable media. If I go into the bios and turn off the internal NVRAM as soon as I reboot, the machine goes back into manufactuting mode and turns on the NVRAM again. If I use F12 to get into the boot menu to try and run the CD it just launches back into the manufacturing mode so I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how I get past this?

**EDIT**
    Just found out how to remove the NVRAM module - all up and running. Phew :)

6. pollyc

pollyc MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2011
    Hi, I'm a beginner, I have a problem with the OptiPlex FX160, I forgot the password of the bios, I tried to remove the battery but it always asks me the password, help me (sorry for bad english) thanks!

7. pollyc

pollyc MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2011
    #10 pollyc, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
    this? 5F3GD4J
    no number after the dash
    no dash
    thanks

8. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    On the screen where it asks you for the password, it shows your service tag + a 4-digit code (password scheme).

DELL service tag: 5F3GD4J-595B password: qc9vrjta
    DELL service tag: 5F3GD4J-A95B password: qc9vrjta
    DELL service tag: 5F3GD4J-D35B password: 9b5hh3uh
    DELL service tag: 5F3GD4J-2A7B password: n023ouABFE9zZDPQ

9. pollyc

pollyc MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2011
    thanks ,but don't works
    it don't shows the service tag, but:

CMOS Checksum Error
    CMOS Time Not Set
    Press F2 to Run Setup