Used Insyde bios mod for months, now Windows 7 reports "not genuine"

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by John W, Jul 4, 2010.

1. John W

John W MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2009
    I have been using a BIOS mod by str8 [1] for my Acer Aspire 6935G for about two months and older BIOS mods before that, too. (Everest confirms it's modded with SLIC 2.1.)

It worked perfectly with 7x64 RTM Ultimate. Until yesterday.

Now I am being bombarded with "This copy of Windows is not genuine."

I've tried re-flashing the BIOS and re-entering the same and other product keys, to no avail. It constantly reports "Error Code: 0xC004F059 - The Software Licensing Service reported that a license in the computer BIOS is invalid."

Is it known what suddenly causes this? Some new update, perhaps? More importantly, is a fix for this known - aside from "soft-modding"?

Thanks!

[1]: This one: forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/7033-Insyde-bios-mod-requests.?p=261690#post261690

My Windows Update history back to 23.06.:
    (This is a crosspost from Windows 7: forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/20518-Used-Insyde-bios-mod-for-months-now-Windows-7-reports-quot-not-genuine-quot )

2. John W

John W MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2009
    Now this is crazy.

I've just used slmgr.vbs -ilc to reinstall the very same certificate (particularly as there is only one known for Acer) I used over a year ago when I had 7 freshly installed.

Low and behold, Windows has returned to reporting that it is activated.

So apparently something caused the certificate to become corrupted or deleted.