User folder a weird name?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by littledebbie, Oct 29, 2012.

1. littledebbie

littledebbie MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I just installed Windows 8 and I am quite confused...So, there is a cloud account and then also a local account version of that same cloud account?...however....why is the user profile folder in c:\users\ all strange?

Can someone explain the whole thing to me...how does all this work?

I attached an image to show you what I mean...my name is Eric...I even went to manage "my computer," and right clicked the name of my account in users and groups and changed it to Eric...

Thanks in advance for your help as I am a newb to Win8

Attached Files:

• huh.jpg
      huh.jpg
      File size:
      80.3 KB
      Views:
  2. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #2 derausgewanderte, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    I noticed this on two machines that I upgraded. I both cases it was an upgrade from Windows 7 and I believe this is a remnant of the UserFile transfer. In my case too it showed the main admin account with name_000, however in addition to the admin account (so I had a folder username and username_000, with the second one empty). I deleted them as they were stray anyway.
    I wonder if this has to do with permission corrections to the admin folder. Temporarily it creates a _000 folder and for some reason in your case it got stuck with that as the only folder, while in my case it was able to transfer files over but not able to delete the _000 folder. Looks like a bug

cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. littledebbie

littledebbie MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    weird thing is though is that mine isn't a stray..it's actually the main account..I don't have any extras

4. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #4 derausgewanderte, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...