1. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I use ChrisR XPE and enjoy - make and share custom Win10XPE.
    Trains, Winchester, and KC Chiefs are my biggest DLs.

2. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    One of my projects is to make a win 10 boot disk and then lay it flat on my C partition and use it as my operating system .

I've tried WimBuilder2 Full 2020-05-05 , Win10PE_SE_2020-03-28 and Win10XPE_2019-12-18 . For me Win10XPE_2019-12-18 is by far the easyest one to use and get a working product . Its so easy it only takes a few minutes .

My version is just the basic version it can make using win 10 19041.264 wich i first put on a USB stick , then on a USB SSD and then on my C partition . All three work . Now i've taken the boot.wim and have added the drivers for my computer with NTLite ( and also played with removing things and adding updates to boot.wims ) ....... and aplyed the boot wim to my C partition ........ dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:"D:\boot.wim" /Index:1 /ApplyDir:C:\

Next i need to get it to boot :) Did some trys with a comand that seems to me to be the command to set up booting for XP :) BCDboot C:\Windows /s C: /f ALL ....... wich doesnt work because its looking for a file thats not there ( NTLDR ? ) .

Next i'm going to try to make it boot with EasyBCD 2.4 .

I'm having FUN :) and for me this is the nearest thing i can get to the operating system i want . It lean , fast and isnt bloated ......... and looks to me like XP :) with a few bits glued on top :)

If i'm doing it ' wrong ' please dont tell me :) ....... i want to learn how to do it myself :) ...... trial and error = learning by burning :) ...... and when i need help i'll ask .

Questions ---- > Has anyone got it to work and is anyone using it flat as their operating system ?

3. JuliusB

JuliusB MDL Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Hello;
    where you can find the Win10PE.cfg file in Win10XPE to modify or add programs
    thank you

4. freddie-o

freddie-o MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    #125 freddie-o, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    (OP)
    I haven't tried modifying or adding programs yet.

Personally, I use my own Portable apps (in a separate partition in my harddrive) and add my portable app launcher/toolbar in pecmd.ini to launch at startup (_SUB PostShell)

Here's the readme in the Custom folder...

Readme.txt
    Code:
    You can add portable applications here in: \Custom\x64(x86)\AdditionalFiles\Program Files.
    Without creating plugins, it is an easy solution for portable Apps.
    However No shortcuts are created in this case.
    To create them, you can add LINK %Desktop%\xxx|%Programs%\xxx in pecmd.ini

5. JuliusB

JuliusB MDL Member

Feb 25, 2018
    thanks Freddie-o, I'll try
    best regards

6. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    #128 Atari800XL, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    @chrisr:
    Just an extra big thanks for all your work, and to let you know that all us decent MDL folk are completely embarrassed by the treatment you and other developers are getting on that other forum.

And of course big thanks to Kyhi/ James!!!

7. chrisr

chrisr Win10XPE Developer

Dec 1, 2009
    Thanks Atari800XL for your info on the latest package here and your kind words.

8. Kyhi

Kyhi MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Guess it is time for me to find a new home as well - since I have been banned from my development work over there...
    KYHI
    aka James

9. chrisr

chrisr Win10XPE Developer

Dec 1, 2009
    I'm a little disgusted and sorry with the latest events over there, the result of success. It's time to turn the page
    Thanks you KYHI (James), for all the great work you do and the support of Win10XPE
    Glad to see your updates, and thus continue to support it :)
    And thanks to those who will contribute to keep Win10XPE alive :cool:

10. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks for your reply, @chrisr!

I hope you will continue to drop by here from time to time, even if it is only to let us know if/ when you have updated the excellent Win10XPE package to any new Windows 10 releases coming up.
    MDL users seem to be more on the "user" side than on the "developer" side, but that's not a big problem: most developing is done by you anyway (and of course JFX, James, etc. and Slore, author of the new WimBuilder2).
    So for MDL's sake, I hope you and James will keep popping in here from time to time, I'm sure we'll be free of the stupid and embarrissing "events" here (as you call it) of the "other" forum.
    I will post some more on this later, gotta run now...

11. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    @freddie-o,
    To make sure everybody know who is the original developer of these PE projects, maybe we should rename this thread one more time to include this name?
    What about:
    "WinXPE and PESE - User friendly builders by ChrisR"

And to the admins: Can we do anything about the fact that @chrisr still has the status "Novice"?
    What about "XPE Dev" or something?

12. Kyhi

Kyhi MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    #135 Kyhi, Jul 16, 2020
    You seem to minimize my impact on XPE development and the Release..
    Yet then I would not expect you to have known that this Project was co-developed..

13. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    #136 case-sensitive, Jul 16, 2020
    Please can someone fill us in on the background ...... i'd like to know about it and maybe it could help people to understand whats happened and why ? I dont mean gossip or throwing s**t .

I was realy pleased to find theoven.org ...... and read a lot of things there that helped me ....... allthough i didnt like the atmosphere ...... to much ego and elbows for me ...... then suddenly it was gone ........ and now two of the developers are here and are not happy .

Also ..... what about the future ? Future development ? Is there / will there be another site and forum ?

14. Kyhi

Kyhi MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    This is a common response as to the general atmosphere there, although what Happened elsewhere will not be a issue at all.. And the Developers are not Happy about what happened over there - but Win10XPE will continue to be supported..
    As you can see from the above Posts - the Project will continue to receive Updates..

15. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    Thank you ......... i wish you both and your projects well :) ....... and hope that sometime theres another forum where i can read posts , harvest ideas and tips :) and get some guiidance if i need it .

I've been playing with WimBuilder2-Full , Win10PE_SE_2020-03-28 and Win10XPE ....... and for me Win10XPE is the best because its easy to use and get a working product ....... For me Win10PE_SE_2020-03-28 .is bloated and over complicated .

16. Kyhi

Kyhi MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    #139 Kyhi, Jul 16, 2020
    That is because of 15 years of History is repeating itself..
    Win10XPE was Developed with the NEW User in mind... Keep it simple, Keep Code to minimum, Keep things consistent, Keep things easy to follow, Use simple interfaces and allow User Friendly Method for Program Updates.. Thus requiring less Administrative oversight to maintain Project... We put the User in almost total control of the results... Although from time to time the Project does require Additional Support for New OS Releases... That is where User Testing & Feedback is important to us... As we only can test on the PC system in front of us, and need User Testing & Feedback - to verify results..

17. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    You're right, I will try to edit the previous posts to better include your name. Sorry, I was just trying to give more credit to ChrisR, but of course I should not do that to the decrement of your contributions.
    It was sort of an "over reaction" on my part because I was so happy to see ChrisR's returned (maybe briefly for now) to this forum, and I wanted everybody to know he originated the XPE project.
    So once again: Thank you Kyhi, if it wasn't for you, we wouldn't have the recently updated XPE package!!!