users profile desktop all same?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by meloxicam, Jun 24, 2012.

1. meloxicam

meloxicam MDL Novice

May 27, 2012
    specs: windows 7 sp1
    My computer has 3 user accounts ( two normal and administrator) but for some reason the background/desktop for each is the same. Also firefox, internet explorer and chrome personal settings are the same i.e. no bookmarks or addons.

in computer c:\users\ there are the 3 user accounts plus default and public and their individual desktops are accessible there but the files and shortcuts don't display on the background desktop

is it a corrupt user profile? if so how can i fix it? i've done virus/rootkit/spyware scans and none of them have shown anything.

thanks alot

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And what is strange about it? Each user can change the wallpaper to whatever they want, same applies to firefox profiles, user can do to them whatever they want.

Maybe you need to ask more logical question?

What did you expect?

sebus

3. meloxicam

meloxicam MDL Novice

May 27, 2012
    what's strange is that each user had personalised their desktop with short-cuts but now they are gone - defaulted with the other accounts i.e. each account only has recycle bin on the desktop with the blue windows background.

logic : 3 different accounts all showing the same desktop and background. if one user tries to change background then logs out it is not saved.
    c:\users\username\desktop\ still has all the short-cuts files in it but adding to the non-folder desktop doesn't change the folder desktop. not caused by virus.

i expect each desktop to be unique to the individual account; the accounts have lost their individuality i.e all shortcuts on the desktops are the same even though each account should have different shortcuts on the desktop. the background picture is the same on all three accounts. firefox bookmark and internet history are blank on all three.

4. SuperBubble

SuperBubble MDL Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Jump into Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System, and look for events by:

UserEnv,
    UserInit,
    Winlogon,
    User Profile

Those probably won't be the exact names of the events, since I haven't ever paid terribly much attention - I have a tendency to just delete profiles that go crazy on me, and regenerate them from Default User.

But anyway, those log events should point you in the right direction.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...