Using 32 bit oem key on Windows 7 64 bit install

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ms, Aug 4, 2011.

1. ms

ms MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2011
    I have a dual boot setup.

First is a Windows 7 - 32 bit with a valid oem license.
    Second, I installed (on a separate partition) Windows 7 - 64 bit using Daz v1.9.3 and I am activated (not validated).

I no longer need the 32 bit version and I want to switch permanently to 64 bit (on the same machine). What I would like to do is to use the key I paid for to validate the 64 bit version and then uninstall Windows 7 - 32 bit. Any way of doing this? All I have read elsewhere says I can't register a 64 bit version with an installed 32 bit oem key, but I bet someone here has found a way...

2. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    32/64 keys are the same, the oem key on the sticker will work but you will likely need to ring through for activation.

3. ms

ms MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2011
    I was totally amazed (after everything I read on Microsoft's site) that it simply activated - no issues at all. Thanks for giving me the extra boost of confidence to try it. I was concerned at first that I might get stuck in an unvalidated state. That was before I found this site - I see there are solutions for just about every MS created hassle here - so no worries.

Thanks again.