Using an "old" key on a "new" system

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BrooklynJoe, Nov 27, 2009.

1. BrooklynJoe

BrooklynJoe MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2009
    Forgive me if this has been asked before. My current mainboard (Asus A8V-Deluxe Socket 939) appears to be on its last legs. The CMOS no longer retains the BIOS settings if the machine is powered down overnight. I replaced the battery twice, adjusted the tabs, cleaned them, etc. Still loses the settings. For the past few weeks I've simply been putting the machine into hibernate mode. Surprisingly a few time the machine would not wake up, and when I forced a cold start, the BIOS settings were again lost. I decided to replace the mother board. Will I be able to reuse the key I am currently using on the new build? It's an msdn key for "Ultimate" (supposedly 32 or 64 bit version). Can't really verify this as I never tried it on the 64 bit version. The key was only used once on my current system. I'm reusing whatever parts I can salvage. The mother board, CPU and RAM all need to be replaced, however. Do you think MS will give me a hard time activating the OS on a rebuild?

Thanks for your time! Happy Holidays!

2. racky29

racky29 MDL Senior Member

Aug 2, 2007
    there's a token backup and restore tool here in the forum, this will save your current activation thus saving you having to re register the key

3. metca

metca MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2009
    Phone activation will do, if fails internet activation.

4. BrooklynJoe

BrooklynJoe MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2009
    I want to thank all 3 who replied to my query. I have a definite plan of attack in my head now. Would have sucked to lose a key I've only been using for several weeks. Can't wait for the parts to arrive to rebuild this rig which served me well for over 5 years.