Using canoscan N650U with win 7 32 or 64

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by cdoublejj, Jan 19, 2014.

1. cdoublejj

cdoublejj MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2013
    If you wish to use a Canscan N650U windows 7 and are having a hard time with the drivers auto installing or using the old/original drivers. Use VueScan!!! It's supposed to be able to let use a scanner even if your OS doesn't support it. I tried it with my friend's Canscan N650U and IT WORKED!!! He has Win x64.

2. cdoublejj

cdoublejj MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2013
    VueScan lets you use scanners unsupported by your OS

A freind of mine wanted to use his old Canoscan N650U windows 7 and are having a hard time with the drivers auto installing or using the old/original drivers. Use VueScan!!! It's supposed to be able to let use a scanner even if your OS doesn't support it. I tried it with my friend's Canoscan N650U and IT WORKED!!! He has Win x64.

I had googled and finally after a while stumbled on to this VueScan page that mentioned it being able to work with scanners that the OS wouldn't work with.

It is pay for but, if you don't mind water marks you can use the free version, or spend a bit of money for the full-version.
    I'm not saying buy it but, that is an option. older printers and scanners have better chance of working on 32bit windows 7 since it can use XP drivers but, usually that isn't the case with 64 bit windows 7.

3. darknezz19

darknezz19 MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2014
    To add to this, use the preview function to get a scan without the watermark, then use the prints screen key to save the pictures in mspaint.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Or you could just buy it...

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And it also works on Mac OS X

6. GreyGold

GreyGold MDL Member

Jun 2, 2011
    #6 GreyGold, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    Years ago, I began using VueScan to replace HP's PrecisionScan Pro which not only did a crappy job of scanning, but was also inconsistent in behavior across different versions for different scanners. Now that HP doesn't provide Win8 drivers for their older scanners (I have a 7400c and 6350), VueScan is even more of a godsend for me.

7. LogFly

LogFly MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2010
    This is a good suggestion. I have several scanners that aren't supported any more and it didn't dawn on me that Vuescan might be using its own drivers. The couple times I've tried Vuescan though, it has been frustrating. Just scanning something at 200% at 300dpi was not straight-forward. Settings were not consistent with basic work flow and I kept getting inconsistent results. It's been a while so I'll try it again. Thanks again OP for the idea.

8. GreyGold

GreyGold MDL Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Yeah, the VueScan UI takes a little getting used to, but once you do, it works well. And it beats ponying up for another scanner.