Using Macrium Reflect question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mowerman, Jan 23, 2011.

1. mowerman

mowerman MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    I have a 640 Gig drive that contains A)System Reserved B)System "C" and C) Data
    The A partion is 100MB and the B partion is 174 Gig. I want to image the A & B partions to a USB drive that is 320 Gigs . Macrium tells me that my USB drive is not big enough. Does this mean I have to get another 640 Gig drive to image only 174 Gig plus the 100 MB System Reserved drive?

2. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    your usb drive is 640?

3. mowerman

mowerman MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    No, as stated my USB drive is 320Gig

4. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Sorry, what you posted doesn't seem to make any seance, 174gb image should really fit on a 320gb drive even with cloning the free space, is your usb drive partitioned?

5. mowerman

mowerman MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    My 320 Gig was partitioned with an OS on it but I was under the impression that Macrium would wipe it clean before writing the image. I also agree with you that it doesn't make sense.

6. mowerman

mowerman MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    Just got the answer from another forum. Apparently, you cannot make an image to a smaller drive than the drive your existing image is on. Doesn't make sense to me but thats that. Thank you for your responces though

7. annieannie

annieannie MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2009
    well, I think it depends on the method you use to clone the drive. If you use "raw drive method", meaning that the software clones the whole drive byte by byte, so the image is 640G plus some copression. But if you don't use that raw drive method, I think you can fit the two images to the usb drive.

I don't know abuot the settings of macrium but for Ghost, it's default to image only the existing files not the raw method. I thik you need to look at the settings of the Macrium before doing the image.