Using my new BT YouView box with an Ethernet cable??

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by TomTomok, Mar 24, 2016.

1. TomTomok

TomTomok MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2016
    Hi Everyone (I'm a newbie here).

My ISP is VirginMedia, my router is the Super Hub 2 and my speed is 70Mbps.
    I've set up my YouView box and connected it to my router with the Ethernet cable that came supplied with it (it's 10m in length, thin flat and white).
    I haven't a clue what CAT it is......5/5e/6...etc

With the players on demand, programs load up fairly quickly, but not actually knowing exactly what CAT cable I'm using.
    Would you know, what CAT the cable is that comes provided with the YouView box.

That being the case, is it really worth me getting a faster cable....like a CAT 6/6a/7......or would these be to powerful, or not even work with my hardware.
    Totally ignorant here, I would be most grateful for all the help, assistance and feedback you can give me.
    Many thanks in advance.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I would use at least a Shielded CAT 5e Ethernet cable! Normally CAT5e is much enough for speeds up to and even above 100Mbps, special if you use not above 100feet in lenght!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. TomTomok

TomTomok MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2016
    Thanks for your reply "pisthai"........unfortunately there is no "spec" printed on the cable....but the plastic bag it came in simply said "10m STP cable"......thinking the STP stands for Shielded Twisted Pair......now thinking this corresponds with a Cat 5e Shielded Twisted Pair Ethernet cable........find it reassuring that a Cat 5e is ok.

What would happen if I got a Cat 6a FTP cable......would it speed up BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD,etc......so that I would notice??

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Personally, I would never use unsigned cables for Ethernet! OK, 10m wouldn't need 'good' spec! Just, even if the cable is shielded, didn't means that it's good enough for streaming! What's important are the quality and how the cable/pairs are twisted. There are not equal twisted, it's depend by color: brown, orange, green, blue, from app. 55 to 80 twist's (turn) per meter of cable.

It's all about what kind of data transfer you'll need those cable for!

As I already said, I wouldn't use any unsigned cable, maybe it works, just isn't a quality product at all!

6. TomTomok

TomTomok MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2016
    Hi pisthai.....once again many thanks for your helpful reply.....and I will take on board what you say about using unsigned cables.

I see your from Thailand..just to let you know BT (the organisation that made my BT YouView box are by far the biggest in Tv and telephones in the United Kingdom....they are a colossal organisation..whereby as they provided my unsigned Ethernet cable....I do tend to trust them......and actually I already get a very good reception and speed...that most people would be more than happy with......I simply do not think they have not provided the fastest cable...keeping costs down...but if I could get a signed Cat 6a....I think that's the direction I will go....although you say a Cat 5e is good enough up to 100Mbps.....and my broadband speed is only 70Mbps....so finally I'm wondering if I should bother at all??