Using OEM HP Windows 7 Home Premium key to activate Retail Windows 7 Home Premium?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wintertime, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wintertime

wintertime MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2010
    #1 wintertime, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
    Hey,

I recently bought a new HP laptop and as many of you know, HP is horrible when it comes to preinstalled bloatware so I'd like to wipe everything clean and install a fresh copy of windows 7 home premium.

So the question is, is it possible to use the key that's on the side of my laptop to activate a retail copy of windows 7 home premium that I got off the net? From what I've heard, it is, but I'll have to call Microsoft? Does anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks & happy holidays guys.

2. wintertime

wintertime MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2010
    Anyone? Sorry for the bump, but I really need to find an answer asap.

3. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
  4. wintertime

wintertime MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2010
    Perfect! Just what I was looking for; thanks a lot, ambidav. One more thing though, where can I get the certificate? I'm guessing it's stored somewhere on my windows partition?

Btw, out of curiousity, is it legal to do this?

5. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
    Perfectly Legal!! because you dont need to mod your bios! as your bios already has slic 2.1 :)

6. wintertime

wintertime MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2010
    You guys are awesome. Really. Thanks A LOT! :) *waiting for X15-65733.iso to finish downloading*

7. wintertime

wintertime MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2010
    Btw, what's the difference between this activation method and the one that you can read about on mydigitallife.net/2009/09/24/how-to-backup-and-restore-windows-7-and-server-2008-r2-activation-status-activate-offline-on-reinstall/ ? Other than one being really simple and the other a pain in the a.

8. Dissonance

Dissonance MDL Junior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    #9 Dissonance, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
    That's for a retail install (different steps). Because you bought an OEM PC, your Windows uses a different activation method (Windows looks for the HP Code in your bios + the certificate + the key). Since the code in your bios will still be there after you reinstall windows, you just need to backup the certificate and key and then put them back in after the reinstall.

Also yes it is legal because you got a Windows license from HP (should be a sticker on the computer saying this). All your doing is reinstalling that copy and dumping the bloatware in the process.

9. saratdusta

saratdusta MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2010
    what will happen if i re-install the pre-installed OS from notebook manufacture with the different oem OS version (such home premium v6 to v3), and does the certification will match with the new fresh installed OS even in the same oem os version? will u mind to give me some tutorial on it?

many thanks before.

10. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Kamar

Kamar MDL Junior Member

Dec 24, 2009
    thanks for the excellent utility.

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Why bumping such old threads with repeated info??