Using own Windows disc on a pre built still creates a recovery partition!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ryouga, Dec 15, 2014.

1. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    I have a prebuilt pc which had 8 on it, I want to use the 1tb from that as a media drive and use my 250 gig spare as a OS drive(and put a 3tb into it as a games drive)

Anyway I used murphys Win8AIO(after removing all but Win 8.1 pro VL) but when doing setup it creates a factory restore partition, a 128mb(I think) mbr partition, as well as the usual 300 mb system and the rest.

Why is it creating a mbr and factory partition? And how can I stop setup making one?

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Could it be it creates a Recovery Partition, along with an EFI System Partition etc? It would mean you booted the AIO in UEFI Mode and your disks get partitioned using GPT. A GPT partitioned disk always has multiple partition, perfectly normal.

In BIOS Mode, disks are partitioned using MBR (2TiB limit). The 300MB partition will only be created if the disk is not pre-partitioned beforehand.

3. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    I have a feeling it was UEFI yes, I installed from USB, and the drive was formatted before I put it in but not paritioned i.e raw so that could be why, but the strange thing was it was a 250 gig hard drive so not over 2tb and also I was unable to extend the 300mb onto the rest by deleting the large partition and extending like before

4. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
  5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    There might be also an MS partition it seems to hide from Win tools.