Using VLC instead of Flash in the browser...

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ThomasMann, Mar 19, 2017.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    VLC PLayer offers a lot of possibilieties, whereas Flash offers nothing.

Is it possible to watch a video, which runs in flash on the browser, on VLC? (Without downloading it first)

If yes, how?

Thank you, TM

2. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    This answer is useless ^^ because you need IDM (not free) + Op wants to see the video within the browser without downloading it first.

There is no way to do that, this is the simplest answer.

3. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you, that is the question I asked. I have IDM, one of the two softwares I actually bought because it is really good, but for this purpose not usable. I want to switch to VLC bause on a large TV I usualle have to change the format to 4:3. There also seems to no way to that on flash in browser....

Thanks for your answer.

PS I once asked at VLC, strangeley enough they wrote it is possible but they would not tell me how... weird.

4. davistje

davistje MDL Novice

May 13, 2016
    They still make TV's with 4:3 AR? I don't get why you would want it in 4:3 otherwise unless at 16:9 the image is overscanned in which case if you go in your settings for the HDMI port (on the TV) and set it to PC it will fix that issue.

5. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Why are you writing, when you cannot answer the question that was asked? Is it my responsility to explain to you what I do and why I do it?

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    NO need for Flash in YT, any modern browser will just do HTML5 video

7. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    The script anyway will not work since YouTube already re-wrote their API and this script isn't maintained anymore. You can't 'replace' it, replacement would require that there is an native wrapper and this will never be added while not everyone uses/want VLC.

You not need anything, ensure you use a modern browser and you get HTML5 videos (as said) automatically delivered.