using win 7 on another computer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by marilyn, Apr 21, 2010.

1. marilyn

marilyn MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2010
    I have a dell laptop originally running vista home premium - I upgraded to windows 7 home premium - I want to upgrade to windows 7 professional - can I use the windows 7 home premium with product key on another computer? or will it say that product key has already been activated?

2. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    You may have to activate by phone when you install the premium since it has already been activated once. This assumes that that the upgrade was retail and not OEM. On a side note, if your computer has an SLIC 2.1 you can install with an SLP key and cert. Let us know what model you have and someone will help you. Did you buy the upgrade from a store or did it come from dell after buying your computer?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. marilyn

marilyn MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2010
    Don't really know what you mean by SLIC 2.1 (something to do with Dell?) Anyhow both the win 7 home premium and win 7 professional are retail bought - amazon and dell - they are not OEM. I want to put the home premium on a HP computer that is running vista (formally running win7 ultimate RC but has been reformatted to factory state.) I know I won't have a problem with the win 7 pro anytime upgrade but I was concerned about reactivating the premium - if I have to phone it in - OK - should I install it (win 7 home premium) and try to activate it or phone first.