Using Windows 7 act*vators Consequences

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Swook, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Swook

Swook MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2009
    #1 Swook, Nov 7, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
    Greetings.
    I installed Windows 7 and I wanted to activate it until I got the opportunity to get a license for it. So, I used Hazar's Windows 7 act*vator. I ran it and I was told that that process had already been started (even though I didn't use any CD-Key when installing Windows 7) and that I should type "NET HELPMSG 2182" for further information which was exactly what I did, I typed it in the run box. Afterwards, my laptop restarted and before the boot screen a new message regarding some boot options started to appear eveytime I started my laptop. Please note that it is only a message, I don't have to choose any option or do anything at all. Even though Windows 7 is activated, I still don't like that boot message I receive before the boot screen. I would like to know what exactly does this act*vator do and if it possible for it to have damaged any hardware components or to have overwritten or changed any BIOS settings.
    I would also like to know if that boot message disappears if I reinstall Windows when I get my license for it.
    Thank you in advance.

2. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Hello, that message was meant to be ignored. It is a bug, it was checking if the software licensing service was ready.

The message you were seeing at boot was probably some text flashing past, this was corrected in a later version. You can try Daz's activator as my script is very old!

3. Swook

Swook MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2009
    #3 Swook, Nov 7, 2009
    (OP)
    Thanks Hazar for your answer. So, basicly, it was not typing "NET HELPMSG 2182" in the run box the command that triggered the patch to complete, but the waiting time the patch needed? I want all this to be clear to me because just after typing "NET HELPMSG 2182" in the run box a new window appeared and it disappeared almost instantenously. I thought something went wrong, but after reading your reply, I assume it was just a coincidence.
    Regarding the text flashing past you were talking about, will it disappear after reinstalling Windows 7? And still, could the patch have affected any hardware components or overwritten/changed any BIOS settings?
    And, in the end, could you explain what exactly does an act*vator do? I always had a passion to understand certain mechanisms and I am sure it would be useful to other persons too.
    Thanks again.

4. santoshcoolhere

santoshcoolhere MDL Member

Jan 3, 2009
    i'm sure it will disappear after a clean installation of windows.............

5. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    A loader emulates volume licencing used by manufactures of computers in order to very much significantly simplify the installation and maintenance of computers sold. The loader emulates a special part of the bios used for licencing purposes and tricks Windows into thinking you are using one of these preinstalled computers.

btw, I nice touch with the reason for the edit.
    'Gramatical Errors' :)
    Correct spelling and grammar would read:
    'Grammatical errors' ;) (changes in bold... just teasing!) :p

6. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #6 Rosco, Nov 7, 2009
    OEM such as Acer, Dell etc do a deal with M$ where they include a table in the BIOS which contains "secret" information that Windows checks to see if activation over the internet is required. OEM machines do not need to activate over the internet if 3 things are present

1. The table in the BIOS - called an SLIC table - different machines have slight variations in this table.
    2. A digitally signed certificate matching the SLIC table - again different machines have slight variations in this certificate.
    3. An OEM key that matches the version of Windows installed - ie the key for Home Premium is different to the Ultimate key - it doesn't matter if the key doesn't match the OEM name just the Windows version.

When Vista came out someone discovered it was possible to fool Windows into thinking there was a genuine SLIC table in the computer BIOS by loading an emulated table into memory during boot up. M$ changed the table for 7 but maintained backward compatibility for Vista as well - note Vista keys do not work for 7 and vice versa though.

Windows detects this emulated table and if the certificate is installed in the operating system and the key matches the Windows version installed it accepts it is installed on an OEM machine and activates itself without connecting over the internet.

I guess M$ could stop this but they run the risk of de-activating legal customers and if they did this to enough legal customers would face a serious backlash. Given Vista's failure to gain market share - if Vista wasn't on new computers it would have sold very poorly indeed - M$ need Windows 7 to be a success and this is not guaranteed given current economic circumstances.

Finally - no a loader cannot damage or change your hardware as all software generally can't - sure viruses can wipe out you harddrive content and some could - in the past - overwrite the BIOS code until manufacturers fixed the open invitation they gave for this to happen when they allowed BIOS changes without changing jumpers - remember the chernobyl virus that took down millions of computers ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...