Using windows server as a desktop, where to start? which version to use

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by jineso, Jan 2, 2023.

1. jineso

jineso MDL Member

Oct 8, 2021
    Hi,
    I have an old laptop from 2013, and I had some driver issues preventing enabling the Core Isolation & Memory Integrity.
    I've posted about it here:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/posts/1770904/
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/posts/1771130/
    One of the suggestions was to use a windows server as a desktop for the laptop.
    So, I've googled but I've never used it before, so I thought to ask about it.
    Where to start?
    Which version to use?
    Is it really deserved?
    Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    use ltsc 2021 or ltsc 2019

if you need windows store

open cmd prompt admin right

write wsreset -i

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. vladnil

vladnil MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Set up a server?
    On a laptop?
    Are you serious?
    Then forget about wifi and bluetooth drivers, but they are not installed, this is a known problem for a long time!

4. jineso

jineso MDL Member

Oct 8, 2021
    Thanks a lot for your valuable time reading and replaying my thread.
    you mean any software from store could be installed?

It is not my idea, and I never used any server version before, so I thought to ask.

5. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    you can install any store apps on ltsc

user server are not supported by driver from consumer

6. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    People making "stick to consumer / legal / supported versions " comments on MDL... :rolleyes:

7. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    I have among other options Server 2022 Datacenter (and indeed the current IP build of vnext) installed on a ~2012 era laptop that I use as the main "desktop" OS daily - it's also an option on my PC itself. It takes all of perhaps 20 minutes to set up as a comfortable desktop. Bluetooth is perfectly possible as of around 2016-2019 although not the most straightforward thing to get going (features/drivers/services or a third party stack.)
    Run whatever games or software you want on it. PUBG or an Oculus Rift? No problems. Just because it has the word "Server" doesn't mean you can't use it for any other purpose you want. Experiment and learn.

8. Linus&Bibo

Linus&Bibo MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2018
    If you have any Problems with drivers on Server 2016 / 2019 you can try this - it takes some time but it works . . .:
    First, install windows 10 (any version) then update to install any missing drivers from microsoft, for example bluetooth, wifi, grafic-cards and so on. Then export all drivers with powershell (ISE) to a folder, copy the folder to an usb-stick and reinstall (clean) windows server. If you have any missing drivers, then right-click the device, click update driver and choose one from the folder with previous exported or click to search and choose the folder with exported drivers,
    By the way: The name of the drivers are mostly easy to identify, f.e. ath**** = Atheros, rt*** = realtek, bth*** = bluetooth and so on

This is my solution for a lot of pc's or laptops, because they are running much more better with server 2016 / 2019 than windows 10. I do that with eMachines (el1600), Foxconn (A74ML-K) and some others

9. jineso

jineso MDL Member

Oct 8, 2021
    Please, may you tell me how you do it? or if there is a youtube tutorial for that.

That really makes me curious because I never tried any server version before.

Sorry if my question sounds dumb, but aren't laptop resources limited compared to a workstation to running a server version?
    The last point, does there is a .esd files repository for windows servers included here in MDL like windows 10 and 11?
    Thanks

10. vladnil

vladnil MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2019
  11. zbigniew59

zbigniew59 MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2016
  12. eVYGI7

eVYGI7 MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2019
    There is no option for sleep.