using windows xp mode in vmware on a linux machine

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by shagy, May 19, 2013.

1. shagy

shagy MDL Novice

May 19, 2013
    hi there,
    i know there is a thread on a similar subject from two years ago, but it didn't answer my question for the fullest.
    i have windows 7 ultimate and installed my windows xp mode and then converted it to vmware.
    i have a laptop with linux (ubuntu) installed and i want to move my windows xp mode to that machine - as
    i need it for connecting to my works vpn connection - i'm not going to leave the original windows xp mode on the windows 7 just want to move it.

i know there is a way to do so, but i didn't understood how.

may i have an assistant?

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #2 sebus, May 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Try to explain again...

Code:
    installed my windows xp mode and then converted it to vmware
    So what do you actually use now? XP Mode or Vmware Workstation?

If you run Workstation, then did you just use the XP Mode settings within Workstation to get activation working OK?

You can move the VM to Linux, but you will need to "correct" the OEM activation

XP Mode SLP string will not work in Workstation on Linux (not even if you mod the BIOS)

So you have an answer here & here

Read, learn & be on your happy computing way...

3. shagy

shagy MDL Novice

May 19, 2013
    yes i used vmware player to import the windows xp mode and vmware used the xp mode to activate the os.
    so if i understand correctly i can't really use vmware machine with xp activated by xp mode in linux.
    i need to change the activation to oem somehow and then with the use of bios mod and vlk2oem i can make it to work.

or maybe the xp mode key is not even vlk based so it won't help me a bit?

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Learn, learn, learn
    XP Mode is SLP OEM based activation (key does NOT matter)

XP activated online = SLP 1.0 in BIOS (or any other way) + SLP OEM key (manufacture independent) + oembios.* set of files that correspond to the SLP 1.0 marker

5. shagy

shagy MDL Novice

May 19, 2013
    thanks i will read some more and experiment on my vm.