Vail Reaches Expiration Date, bluescreens ensue

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by FormerlyMQ, Jan 8, 2011.

1. FormerlyMQ

FormerlyMQ MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2011
    Hey guys, I'm a frequent visitor of this forum, and first time post here - I have a fresh clean install of Vail and used Hal7600 to activate it and its log file stated that all went well. I checked and everything was activated fine, watermark gone from bottom left, etc.... But before I was to put my stuff on the server, I wanted to check if it could still operate after the end of beta date which is in a day or two. So I forwarded the clock past the date, and let it run for a few hours and was hit by the blue screen with the error "end of NT evaluation period."

I re-ran HAL7600 and it hit a bunch of errors, it couldnt rebuild a bunch of UI's and stuff, and kicked back a log with empty entries...

Anyone know if there is a way around this? My end goal is to keep using this version of Vail due to its Drive Extender Tech (of which they plan to remove next preview)

2. FormerlyMQ

FormerlyMQ MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2011
    #3 FormerlyMQ, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
    (OP)
    Thanks!

Thanks for the reply - im about to try this and I know i could probably just google this, but the "click here" in your reply is not a link, although im pretty sure you meant it to be one. Once again, thank you for your reply, this is extremely helpful. Anyone know if this will last longer than mid march? Indefinitely?

Cheers

EDIT:

Ahh Google. I found what you were talking about over at usingwindowshomeserver.com Thanks again!

3. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    Tried it tonight & it worked for me.
    Had to try twice as my first attempt ended w/ a blue screen, restarted & tried again & I now have my expiration moved up to 3/15/2011.

4. FormerlyMQ

FormerlyMQ MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2011
    Roll Clock Back

I have a simple question - I tested the expiry of Vail by pushing the clock forward past its expiration date, and it got the standard bluescreen - but what happens if i continuously keep the clock back - as in set it a year off - like 2009 instead? Would it prevent it from bluescreening?

5. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    Mine says: 3/15/2011 3:59 PM

6. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    I hope so also.

Reading the MS WHS forum in the link I posted earlier in this thread:

*Nancy tested the rearm command "slmgr -rearm" and that worked to extend the expiration to 3/15/2011 also.
    That is way easier than installing the "WS08 R2 SP1 RC " (like I did).

7. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    I tried -rearm switch on both my Aurora and Vail VM's. Without any success. :(
    After installing SP1 RC1, the -rearm switch worked on Aurora.
    And Vail re-activated with its orignal beta key using the -ato switch.

Although without DE, I don't see much point in either of them. o_O

8. Auto

Auto MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2010
    Thanks @MrG for the info

9. VoXiE

VoXiE MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2010
    Getting back to the original question, is there a way to extend the trial period indefinitely so that there are no BSOD's, reboots every hour, etc.?? After all, March 15th is approaching fast!