Vaio: how to mod if I don't have the bios?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Antigen, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Antigen

Antigen MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Hi,

I have a notebook Vaio, on the web site of Sony there is not track of the BIOS, and on the FTP idem.

BIOS not available.

There is the possibility to mod the bios?

The BIOS is a Phoenix BIOS.

Thanks

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    How would you drive a car without a car?:D
    OK, joking...;)

At Phoenix bios it's not possible. You can backup any biosrom.....but at Phoenix you need extra data to re-flash the bios......that extra data is usually provided by the OEM at biosupdate.......that's special at Phoenix bios......if you would find an biosupdate that is using the same extra data (platform.bin) you could flash it, but who knows about?

You may ask Sony support for an biosupdate.:) Is it a new model?

Btw: Many Sony notebooks come without any biosupdate...another fact I would never buy a Sony.

All you can do is to ask and to wait for.....:(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    Someone I know tried to get a bios out of them, they basically said there is no new bios out for his notebook so wouldn't give him the bios, he said he needed it to recover his notebook from a bios failure they still wouldn't give it to him and just told him to take it in for repairs. He waited a week and did another request and asked them for a VT enabled bios as it seems sony forgot to do that on a lot of their laptops that the hardware supports VT on. They then sent him the bios and it was a much newer version than what he had.

So they do make bios updates but probably only give them to their service centers in most cases.

I work for a place that sells Sony notebooks so I rang Sony and asked for access to that sort of thing and they said it's not necessary. It all seems very odd.

4. Antigen

Sep 12, 2009
    My notebook is a:

SONY VAIO VGN-N21Z/W

PRODUCT ID: PCG-7X1M

Some one can help me?

5. imatrix

imatrix MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    at this point of time, for phoenix bios, no bios, no mod. you may have to bear with loader for now.

6. Antigen

Sep 12, 2009
    Mmmm.... but Loader are virus!

7. deadpda

deadpda MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    #7 deadpda, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
    As I'm in the same boat as the original poster I've been following this issue for a while. I'm a bit thick when it comes to BIOS mods, so please indulge me as I check my understanding:

To flash a Sony Vaio Phoenix BIOS you need a .WPH file. This, speaking in non technical terms, is made up of two components:

the .ROM file, which is the BIOS data itself,

and

the .BIN information, which contains the Sony model number and other ID confirmations.

Getting the .ROM file from your existing BIOS is possible, using the Universal Backup Tool.
    Getting the .BIN information, then, is the problem. As Sony haven't issued a new BIOS for particular models the only possible source is the original BIOS.

Sorry this is longwinded, as I say, I'm a bit thick.

Some of the WPhlash tools backup the original BIOS when flashing the ROM, so I'm wondering if this backup has the .BIN information embedded somewhere?
    If it does then this could be combined with the .ROM information from the Universal Backup tool.

Is anyone interested in working with me on testing this? What I think we need is the assistance of someone with a viao that DOES have a newer BIOS.

If they backed up their BIOS, and then posted the backup, we could compare it with the newer BIOS. That would give us an idea as to whether the idea has potential.

What do you think?

dead.

8. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    No, the loaders on this forum are Definitely NOT any form of Virus or malware !!!!!