Vaio recovery .wim files

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by maly70, Dec 24, 2009.

1. maly70

maly70 MDL Junior Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Hi to All;
    I used mod2wim to extract .sny files from recovery partition, after extraction is done i mounted the file that was made (by mod2wim) its name Sony.wim but did not see a regular windows 7 format and folders and there is no setup.exe file or $oem$ folder in Sources folder.
    All what was mounted is windows 7 folders that we see after installation in any HD .
    Is it possible that sony change the format and files so noOne can rip it ?:confused:
    I was looking to make a sony oem win7 cd so i get rid off the bloatware.

Please i need help the to make this OEM cd
    Thank you in advance

2. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi maly70,

What you are seeing in the .wim is correct. :)
    The .wim file is an image of the hard drive.
    So it should have the same folders as your hard drive.

An .iso which is an image of a CD/DVD.
    So that should have the files and folders that you install from.

As for removing the bloat, good luck.
    Sony and Acer really know how to pack it into their systems. :(

Is there any chance you could upload that Sony.wim somewhere ?
    I've got a (Vista) VAIO here that would love an upgarde. :D

3. maly70

maly70 MDL Junior Member

Jan 12, 2008
    #3 maly70, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
    (OP)
    yes i will do it with .sny files (there is six files ), biggest file is 613mb and smallest 118mb

How fast your connection is, i will upload mod2wim it will combine all six files into one file (sony.wim)

4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi maly70,

Thanks, that would be great. :)

My connection is shared, so its slow most of the time.
    But its very reliable, which i keep telling myself is the important part. :D

5. maly70

maly70 MDL Junior Member

Jan 12, 2008
    i will try to do it and upload it (im newb) so i might take time ok!

6. vladxed666

vladxed666 MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I can probably make my way around it to be able to make a clean install disc and reupload it also a step by step explanation on how I did it...

Im not scheduled to work till first week of january so I have plenty of time to work and it... + I don't have anything to do except lurk around here..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    @ vladxed666,
    Do you mean trying to clean up maly70's .wim or make a fresh 'Sony' oem install from a Microsoft .iso ?

I like the idea of a guide if its the first option. :)

8. mciftcibasi

mciftcibasi MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2010
    Hello Maly70

it may too late but I wanna even ask that if these *.sny files still exist , can you upload them into any shared server and let me know. I need these files for restore my vaio.. thanks

9. darxide

darxide MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2010

Hey guys ..i too need that sony.wim file for windows 7.
    I had purchased Sony Vaio CR363 2 years back(although the configuration is good enough to run windows 7 smoothly)
    My problem is that i mistakenly deleted the recovery partition(a friend of mine did that just to increase some more space)
    But good thing was we had created the Recovery DVDs before deleting the recovery disk. But now the problem is that my DVD drive is not working!
    I created Sony.wim file from the recovery disks(mounting them virtually) and now the problem is whenever i try to apply that Wim image to my C:\ drive, it gives me an error "The files are corrupt or unreadable"
    Someone please help me out what to do now!