[VB.Net] How to make multi threading w/ cross calls?

Discussion in 'Mixed Languages' started by jcgo16, Mar 1, 2013.

1. jcgo16

jcgo16 MDL Junior Member

Sep 16, 2010
    #1 jcgo16, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    [VB.Net] How to make multi threading w/ cross calls?

Lets say i have to wait 500ms to run this code again but i wont use Sleep(500) but instead it will make another thread for that code here

so there we're 2 threads running this code

Code:

For counter = 0 To DataGridView1.Rows.Count - 1
                    Select Case DataGridView1.Rows(counter).Cells(8).Value
                        Case 1
                            DataGridView1.Rows(counter).Cells(10).Value = Integer.Parse(DataGridView1.Rows(counter).Cells(10).Value) + 1
                            Dim x As New TimeSpan(0, 0, DataGridView1.Rows(counter).Cells(10).Value)
                            DataGridView1.Rows(counter).Cells(4).Value = x.ToString
                            DataGridView1.Rows(counter).Cells(5).Value = Format((Decimal.Parse(ini.ReadString("per15minbasis")) / 60) * DataGridView1.Rows(counter).Cells(10).Value, "0.00") & " Pesos"
                            If DataGridView1.Rows(counter).Cells(10).Value >= DataGridView1.Rows(counter).Cells(9).Value + Integer.Parse(ini.ReadString("timedelay")) Then
                                DataGridView1.Rows(counter).Cells(10).Value = 0
                                DataGridView1.Rows(counter).Cells(9).Value = 0
                                DataGridView1.Rows(counter).Cells(8).Value = 0
                                Threading.Thread.Sleep(100)
                                Send("state:" & ini.ReadString("timekill"), DataGridView1.Rows(counter).Cells(11).Value)
                            End If
                    End Select
                Next

2. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    #2 PAYMYRENT, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    just an example from one of my programs

Code:
    Public Delegate Sub UpdateMenuCallback(ByVal status As Boolean, ByVal size As ULong, ByVal Inum As ULong)

Me.Invoke(New UpdateMenuCallback(AddressOf Me.UpdateMenu), New Object() {False, SH.i64Size, SH.i64NumItems})

Public Sub UpdateMenu(ByVal status As Boolean, ByVal size As ULong, ByVal Inum As ULong)
            Dim ch As MenuItem = notificationMenu.MenuItems.Item(3).MenuItems.Item(1)
            ch.Text = "Empty Recycle Bin: Items:=" & Inum & ". Size:=" & SetBytes(size)
            ch.Enabled = status
        End Sub

Ok the Me.Invoke is the code you place in the second thread to it tells the application that you need to run the sub UpdateMenu with the parameters the UpdateMenu will the update your UI with the object values you need to display

3. jcgo16

jcgo16 MDL Junior Member

Sep 16, 2010
    hope this will work <3

thank you for the reply

4. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    Did it work? I mean I could give you an example class to look at. :p