Ventoy - Easy USB multiboot for ISO files (UEFI, too!)

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Atari800XL, May 1, 2020.

1. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
  2. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    @Kyhi (and others):

Looks like Ventoy 1.16 has better support for XPE as well!?
    In a quick test I did just now, even when I did not select "Run all programs from RAM" (in XPE), the programs were still running fine when I added the XPE ISO to a Ventoy USB. This would mean Ventoy is "re-mounting" the XPE ISO automatically after booting the PE?

Did I miss something, or is this a great new feature in Ventoy 1.16?

3. For Those who want to know how to unhine 1st partition & again hide after copy paste both files :

Diskpart
    list vol
    sel vol # (#= vol number of ventoyEFI)
    assign

dont close the diskpart session
    partition is now unhidden & mounted in your windows explorer
    copy & paste both files in ventoy dir of your efi partition
    go back to diskpart session on cmd
    type remove

your efi partition is now hidden & unmounted.

4. Kyhi

Kyhi MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    I can confirm that the ISO now remains mounted and the ISO Drive is assigned Y:
    So Thanks to this 1.16 Update - the Media ISO created by the Win10XPE Project is Supported using either Build Method....
    Thank You Ventoy !!
    Thank You!!

5. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks Kyhi, I already was very excited about this, and already thought I must have done something "wrong" to get it to work :)

So it seems that we "silently" got this great bonus, even when (as far as I can tell) this wasn't announced in the latest changelog.
    I know for one of the previous releases (1.14, I believe) a different PE was mentioned, but I guess some people didn't realize how happy XPE users would be if this "remount my iso to drive Y:" would be working.
    (If anyone needs reminding why this is so great, let me know and I will explain).

So thanks for confirming, and thank you LongPanda! This is the perfect "marriage" between 10XPE and Ventoy!

6. Kyhi

Kyhi MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    I asked for such a feature - but not sure if it was intended by Ventoy - But I will Take it, none the less...
    I fumbled upon Ventoy from another forum posting about it a while ago - downloaded it and did a quick test... I was impressed and added Ventoy to Win10XPE Project as Additional Option...

So Thanks to this 1.16 Update -
    I can confirm that the ISO now remains mounted and the ISO Drive is assigned Y:
    The WinPE Media ISO created by Win10XPE is now supported by Ventoy using either "Ram or USB" Build Method.... Thank You Ventoy !!

It really is a Wonderful Program that Ventoy has created -
    So Many Thanks to Ventoy...
    KYHI

7. Zenix308

Zenix308 MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2019
    This is the best ISO booting app. Thanks Ventoy.

8. ventoy

ventoy MDL Novice

May 1, 2020
    Ventoy will try to inject some hook into the boot.wim file to mount the iso file automatically.
    If the hook success, there will be no need for the ISO file to do something like what I said before.

But the hook normally sucess with standard Windows ISO from MSDN.
    For PE.iso, the hook fails sometimes. So for PE, I prefer the author of the PE do the special process inside the ISO, and that is the perfect solution.

However, I always optimize the hook mechanism from release to release, especially 1.0.14.
    So maybe because of the optimization in some release, the hook take effect for XPE.iso.

9. Kyhi

Kyhi MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Well, it seems that the Hook in version 1.16 was the Hook I needed for Win10XPE...
    As the ISO was present as a Drive - for which Win10XPE assigned as Y:

10. ecli

ecli MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2015
    As much as I would like a good util to multiboot, let me tell you that it searches (and changes) some very suspicious registry keys (BITS, RPCss, loads encryption and rsa dlls - virtual disk, etc).
    I would like someone more knowledgeable than me to take a good look at the binary from the latest release.

github.com/ventoy/Ventoy/releases/download/v1.0.17/ventoy-1.0.17-windows.zip
    SHA-256 2ebde7e40422e9c5a50ec4877fec42c45ca085ed6404a3eb9f241025db7e2deb

Be careful....

11. kaspersky Rescue Disk 18 even is not working with latest ventoy.

12. MARKZ1ON

MARKZ1ON MDL Junior Member

May 22, 2020
    Has anyone tried Ventoy with a 128GB USB stick? Can't make it to work, even with Easy2Boot.

13. MaveRick23

MaveRick23 MDL Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Thanks for that tool.

will it loads winpe's as perfect as all other iso's?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    It's great for booting PEs, but "some assembly" may be required.
    For example: for some, Win10XPE doesn't automatically "remount" the ISO after boot, so drive Y: is not available in that case.
    We'll see if that will improve with new versions. Or maybe XPE will be updated to include some technology to take care of this "remount".

You can also use "direct WIM boot" with Ventoy, which is also great for PE, I use this myself, and take care of the remount with my own code.

So try it, and let us know!

15. MaveRick23

MaveRick23 MDL Member

Apr 13, 2013
    i tried to created usb by it on windows system but after usb was unmounted on This PC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. KleineZiege

KleineZiege MDL Expert

Dec 11, 2018
    #120 KleineZiege, Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Ventoy does not Supported aomei partition assistant 8.9
    Dialog from Ventoy ( Unsupported )
    UEFI and Legacy are not working.
    8.8 Work.

Image for Reset Password
    Elcomsoft.System.Recovery.Professional.Edition.Multilingual.X64-X86.v7.2.628.WinPE
    it does not work