Ventoy - Easy USB multiboot for ISO files (UEFI, too!)

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Atari800XL, May 1, 2020.

1. garf02

garf02 MDL Member

Sep 15, 2007
    In UEFI, when boot the installation of Windows 10 the resolution of the screen is 800x600 32bit
    If create the USB with Rufus or Command Prompt and copying all files in the iso, the resolution is 1024x768 32 bit

I have test with Macrium Recue Disk booting in UEFI mode and start only with resolution 800x600 32bit, not other selection is possibile, if boot from USB created by Rufus or CMD the boot is 1024x768 32bit.

Because this low resolution with Ventoy?

2. E_B_M

E_B_M MDL Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Aomei 8.9 (x64) booted from Ventoy works fine for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    @Atari800XL Parted Magic_2020_08_23 not working, says it's not supported

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. billmcct

billmcct MDL Member

Aug 13, 2014
    OK guys, Tried installing this on two computers (win 7 and 8.1) and only fails on 4 different flash drives.
    Tried several different versions of Ventoy to no avail.
    WTH do I need to do to get this installed?

5. angelo0015

angelo0015 MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2010
    #126 angelo0015, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Kaspersky lastest rescue disk worked just fine for me. Used it today.

Just asking, but did you try removing the space in the ISO name "Parted Magic_2020_08_23" so it would be "Parted_Magic_2020_08_23".

It would say "not supported" when a space or weird symbols/characters are used.

6. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    oh yes I did. I will try again

7. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Yeah I've just tried it on a 128Gb Kingston (DataTraveler 100G3). Every ISO I've put on has worked. All my testing has been with UEFI.
    I've even made an ISO of my Memtest86 Pro 8.3 USB Key. Memtest loads & runs but I can see it's not loading the cfg file but using internal defaults...

What a great utility!

8. SteveSi

SteveSi MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2017
    Ventoy can now be added to Easy2Boot v2.
    Easy2Boot v2 can Secure UEFI64 Boot and you can then run Ventoy from agFM (press F5).
    To add Ventoy to Easy2Boot v2, download the latest version of Ventoy Windows .ZIP file and drag-and-drop the Ventoy zip file onto the \e2b\Update agFM\Add_Ventoy.cmd file on the 2nd agFM partition.

9. To Use Linux or Windows VHD with Ventoy user must format 2nd partition ie where iso files are copy pasted to NTFS file system . Tested working fine for me.
    Awesome VHD Plugin by Longpanda aka Ventoy.

10. tomson

tomson MDL Junior Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Greetings from Brasil...

Unbelievable how good this software is. Win a lot from easy2boot.
    Loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT JOB

11. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    In the past I have tried several multiboot solutions and finally settled for (manually made) FbinstTool (Chinese project) + grub4dos, more recently using Strelecs PE for setting up windows PC's.
    I know about Steve's easy2boot and it is compatible with most legacy systems also.
    But in my opinion, it's rather messy and takes a bit of fiddling to setup. Also the menu refresh (F8) thing and imgptn files really got me rebooting often and it takes a lot of time.
    I've never really used it as my main multiboot solution, although it is the most compatible one out there.

Ventoy is a refreshing new concept, it's surprisingly easy to use and that's mainly why I prefer it over easy2boot.
    It has some shortcomings, for example buggy legacy BIOSes like Asrock 775i65G and VIA KM890 boards won't boot due to incorrectly recognized geometry.
    It drops to a grub2 shell immediately.
    I tried the workaround described in the ventoy faq, but then got the warning that the stick wasn't original ventoy. Admitted defeat and stopped trying.

Another issue is the missing option to boot to dos or freedos. This concern has been voiced on the ventoy forums also.
    Like others, I need a plain dos environment for bios flashing.
    The workaround is to hit F4 and boot to grub4dos menu and launch any dos boot disk from there, which works but does not recognize the main partition on the USB stick.
    I did format the main partition to fat32 for increased compatibility, but win98 boot-to-dos image didn't recognize the partition.
    So I took the freedos image from easy2boot, put it in the g4d menu and that finally worked and could acces the bios files on the USB stick.
    Lastly, plop bootmanager USB 2.0 driver doesn't work either, so old pc's load images at USB 1.1 speeds. PBM6 is still dev, and development is slow.

Really, I've got no beef with modern PC's. They can boot easily from any kind of bootable media and at good speeds.
    But I need to maintain systems that are sometimes more than 15 years old.
    It's nice to have a multi-boot solution that can launch several pe's and also have a working USB 2.0 driver like plop or grub4dos integrated USB driver.

Despite the shortcomings described above, I like the project. Documentation is good, forum is in place. I will use this as my preferred multiboot stick.
    It's just so easy, just dump the iso and boot. the grub 2 loader is a huge plus. Uefi boots just as easy.
    The possibility to chainload grub4dos is awesome because I can use my old stuff and my old menu structure and boot mostly everything that isn't directly compatible with the main ventoy menu.
    Updates are frequent, so I think it will get even better over time.

Cheers.

12. Big ventoy update on the way . next update will resolve almost issues on github . @ventoy great.

13. Very less likes for ventoy as i can see as compared to old ones . means ventoy is loosing his users. why & what went bad in ventoy for them . i love it as its awersome then all usb boot tools i found online anywhere in this virtual world.

14. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    Not at all, at least for me, it's awesome and the best way to like the project is to give feedback and help testing.
    I think Ventoy is still very new, it needs to have more exposure. It is so new that people aren't yet familiar with it.
    That's not a bad thing at all, over time it will get more and more widely used.

Cheers.