Ventoy - Easy USB multiboot for ISO files (UEFI, too!)

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Atari800XL, May 1, 2020.

1. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Does anyone know how to add entries for .efi files? I want to add "EFI Shell" as an option.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ventoy

ventoy MDL Novice

May 1, 2020
    Just copy the efi file to the USB just like the ISO file and that's all.
    Ventoy will list it in the boot menu. Of Course you should in UEFI mode.

3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    My Bad. I moved the .EFI files into my ISO folder & it worked.
    My ventoy.json file contains:
    Code:
    { "VTOY_DEFAULT_SEARCH_ROOT": "/ISO" }
    Doh!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Will be good if @ventoy use Refind as Default Bootloader so that user will have choice to select any efi files inside ventoy directory or for local system boot because refind scan all external inernal manual optical disk efi files for boot. its a great usb boot loader . ventoy must take it into consideration.

5. ventoy

ventoy MDL Novice

May 1, 2020
    Why not put a refind-cd iso file in Ventoy USB drive and boot it from Ventoy if needed?

6. @ventoy if i put Refind ISO its only showing Local System Windows Boot without any other scan of all efi files i put there in your ventoy directory where ventoy.json is created as per your instructions.
    If you can update Ventoy with default Refind as Bootloader with your custom theme file which will select Ventor boot file as default & boot ventoy in 10-30 seconds as per your convenience & if user will turn arrow right or left via keyboard within that 10-30 seconds then user can choose among all efi files inside ventoy directory which is there where ventoy.json is created.
    i hope everybody will like this new feature update to ventoy & this will be a great addition too .

7. ventoy

ventoy MDL Novice

May 1, 2020
    You can boot .efi files in Ventoy directory directly from Ventoy.
    Can you give an exact example about your requirement?

8. i have many boot loaders copied to ventoy directory as standalone efi files . everything worked fine . but when in case refind iso or its bin it didnot work as it only show local system boot plus ventoy in its boot menu i want refind to show all the efi files inside ventoy directory from ventoy boot . if its possible.

9. fakjea

fakjea MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2018
    Hello,

Strelec's Boot Menu (WIN8PE - Native - for older computers) don't work, it just reboots.
    Also old Hiren;s Boot boots into system, but not all icons are displayed.

10. Thanks a lot for sharing ventoy update :)

11. taylorlawson

taylorlawson MDL Junior Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Odd that this got ignored?

Lot of complaints around the web about this tool setting off alerts in Virus scanners?

12. VDev

VDev MDL Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Have been using Ventoy since 6 months ago after switching from YUMI EFI/Legacy, AIOBoot. Very easy to use and write amplification is less since every ISO stays intact w/o any issues. E2B went over my head so I gave Ventoy a try and it worked!

13. MaveRick23

MaveRick23 MDL Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Any guide how to prepare flash for it?

14. Kyhi

Kyhi MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Insert your USB stick - launch Ventoy - point to USB stick - ventoy will prepare USB flash drive for you..

15. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    @Kyhi
    Nice to hear from (again) you here on MDL.
    Have you had more experience now with Ventoy and Win10XPE (the PE project, for readers that don't know).
    For me, compatibility has been OK, but I must admit I test more with direct boot.wim boot (which Ventoy also supports) than with "regular" .iso boot.
    Is the Win10XPE iso correctly (re-)mounted after booting the iso, in your tests? I know some seem to have problems with that...

16. Kyhi

Kyhi MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    I still have v1.0.16 on USB Stick - My usual method of booting is via the working directory or separate partition - I do not do much portable use