Ventoy - Easy USB multiboot for ISO files (UEFI, too!)

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Atari800XL, May 1, 2020.

1.0.29 search for all directories inside USB & show any directory that contain iso files. not so good for me .
    1.0.28 works fine n never show any other directory except ISO on root of USB which contain iso files.

1. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Just create the file ".ventoyignore" in any folder you don't want scanned...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Develeoper must let know beginner windows users how to create this file on windows ".ventoyignore" .
    Solution:
    cd /d [path to directory on usb] where ".ventoyignore" is to be created.
    echo > .ventoyignore

it will be created for windows users.

3. Insanegamer1996

Insanegamer1996 MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2019
    What are the benefits of using this over Easy2boot ? Ive used it now and it worked fine for windows 10 iso but what if some1 want xp or vista?

4. i don’t know on which Windows version you are, but Windows is even more developer-friendly, if you have "Show file extensions" turned on, just right click in the folder and create a new file called .ventoyignore, easier for people who not familiar with the command line.

5. ventoy

ventoy MDL Novice

May 1, 2020
    #168 ventoy, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Ventoy doesn't supported XP and Vista. So if you want to install XP/Vista you need to use other tools (e.g. rufus/Easy2Boot)
    Easy2Boot has some limitation, for example:
    1. GPT partition style not supported
    2. Must preserve part3 or part4 for Easy2Boot to use
    3. USB drive must NOT be write-protected
    4. The ISO file must be contingous in the USB drive
    5. Totally inconsistent solutions for legacy BIOS mode and UEFI mode

Besides, Ventoy has some unique features, for example:
    > Fully GPT partition style support
    > No continuous needed for payload file
    > Fully consistent solution for legacy BIOS mode and UEFI mode
    > Auto installation for Linux distros
    > Directly boot for whole FreeBSD series (pfSense/GhostBSD/FreeNAS/XigmaNAS/FuryBSD ...)
    > Boot configuration file dynamically replacement
    > Injection files for Windows/Linux
    > Linux vhd/vdi boot solution
    > Linux Driver Update Disk (DUD) support
    ... and so on.

6. vanelle

vanelle MDL Expert

Sep 22, 2014
    hmm
    I did not find info

Supports Ventoy
    - ISO with a boot sector - 1.44MB floppy - emulation (eg. win98 boot image)?
    - and / or a IMG (1.44MB_floppy.img) ?

7. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    As for Windows XP - Vista and floppy images, Ventoy has the option to chainload G4D, from where you can launch legacy stuff.
    That's how I do it and it works just fine.

Ventoy may not directly support older ISO's/images like XP and Vista but that's fine with me, as long as a workaround is available.

Cheers.

8. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    Could you give more details on how you do this or some link where I can find this information? How do you install XP with grub4dos?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    Ventoy has the option to chainload grub4dos by pressing the (if I remember correctly) F4 key.
    I had a previous USB stick with grub4dos, and wanted to use that same menu and it's iso's for the bootdisks not directly supported by Ventoy.

As for installing XP, this is not ventoy specific but to answer your question:
    I made a sysprepped, hardware agnostic XP image (wim format) and apply this image with imageX.
    After that create the bootsector and it's ready to go.
    I have also some live XP images, made with tools found at theoven.org.

Cheers.

10. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    Thanks. It's been a while since I installed XP but I once had to install it via USB on an old laptop and the only program that created a USB stick that worked to install XP was WinSetupFromUSB. I recently discovered another interesting program called AIO Boot although I haven't tested it yet. Easy2Boot looks interesting too but very complicated to use.

11. @ventoy maybe you can review all the pull requests on GitHub? There are still open ones from August.

12. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    Did someone try to boot the extracted "Windows 10X" VHD(X) with Ventoy ? :eek:

13. zeit1

zeit1 MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2020
    Yes, everything works great.