Venue 8 Pro 5830 - Incredibly slow WiFi download-only speeds?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bmurphr1, Jul 30, 2015.

1. bmurphr1

bmurphr1 MDL Junior Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Just upgraded my Dell Venue 8 Pro from 8.1 over to 10 and it basically installed generic drivers for most of the components of the tablet unfortunately. I downloaded the Z3xxx chipset driver from the Dell website and it updated the graphics drivers and a few others to the appropriate versions and the performance improved dramatically. After that I installed the 8.1 drivers for the WiFi + BT and updated the BIOS/UEFI from version A09 to A11 as well.

Now here's the problem.

The download-only speeds suck. When I go to a website like Ninite or Piriform to download CCleaner and start a download, it immediately slows down to less than 10 KB/s and eventually comes to a complete hault. The weird thing is that it loads webpages in Edge and Chrome just fine, streams YouTube videos, and does most other internet functions just fine...only the download speeds are affected for some reason. I have tried connecting to multiple hotspots I have here at home, disabling Windows Defender, disabling Windows Firewall, turning off SmartScreen, switching airplane mode on and off, and a myriad of other things but for some reason I still cannot get any browser to download a single thing without coming to a complete stop after a few seconds. I'm almost to the point of reverting the tablet back to 8.1 and saying to hell with 10. It sounds like something that's an easy fix but I have yet to discover the solution. Any input is appreciated, and in the mean time I'll continue to attempt to figure this mess out.

2. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    The HP Stream 7 has the same Realtek WiFi/BT chipset and the performance has been crap is all builds of W10. In fact my Stream 7 can't even find N networks no matter what driver (HP, Dell, Realtek) I try. o_O

Hopefully it will get fixed now that W10 is officially released.

3. bmurphr1

bmurphr1 MDL Junior Member

Aug 19, 2009
    I was fortunate enough to find a temporary problem for my issue...and it's a strange problem that I've never seen before from any WiFi-enabled device before. Turns out that it was actually the wireless encryption combined with BOTH of the wireless 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels I had configured my routers for, combined with the distance that my tablet is from the router itself. I changed both AP's frequency channels, and then moved about 30 feet or so away from the router and magically the download speeds shot back up to what they should have been in the first place. I can definitely say that it's a Windows 10 and driver issue because I performed a factory reset back to Windows 8.1 just to make sure my tablet wasn't just going nuts and dying on me and my WiFi speeds were excellent, and I upgraded again to Windows 10 and the trouble starts all over again (I had to perform a factory reset anyways because I made a dumb mistake and installed the SL version instead of core and couldn't activate on the right license channel).

I'm glad that I performed the factory reset though because the second time around since my download speeds went back to normal Windows Update actually downloaded all of the appropriate drivers for my DV8P and saved me a lot of hassle. For right now I setup an old 802.11n Netgear router running DD-WRT upstairs so I can put some distance between my tablet and the router, and as of right now the tablet seems to perform like normal. Hopefully Microsoft addresses this bullcrap driver issue soon though, because it's quite annoying.

4. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    I have one and it's fine.