Very slow to connect to the internet (per cable)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ThomasMann, Jan 3, 2016.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Usually my Computer Win7Ulti with an SSD and i5 takes less than half a minute to be ready for use.
    Since this morning everything is also ready, but there is no internet connection.... The blue circle turns for a while then the red x is back. After using the troubleshooter and several minutes the connection is there. When I turn off the router for a minute and then turn it on, it will also connect.
    But if I simply switch on the computer, then... no connection.
    The network adapter is a Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Ndis 620)

Unless there is a simple solution, what kind of information do you want me to provide for this?

Thanks

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @ThomasMann: Firstly, Welcome to MDL.

Some thoughts...

Has your system installed any windows updates since the problem started? You can look and see or test this by going back to an older restore point before the network acted up.

Have you installed any new programs that could have affected your network? A machine can slow down if a number of programs are trying to access the network at the same time. (e.g. checking for updates, etc.)

Apart from that, We'd need more info on your setup to dig further.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. .org

.org MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2015
    you misunderstood the o.p....the problem i.m.h.o. is with his router & not his computer.

he is not complaining about a slow machine but about the time taken to establish a successful internet connection.

4. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @.org: There are still quite a few unknowns here. Usually, I look at the computer first, then I poke around in the Network hardware.
    At this point, I think it's best for the OP to elaborate how he has his network set up. (Switch...Router, ICS, etc.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. .org

.org MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2015
    you assumed his computer is slow when he has nowhere mentioned nothing about a slow computer / machine.

the o.p. has clearly stated in the title of the thread : " Very slow to connect to the internet (per cable) "

what on earth would make you jump to the conclusion that it is his computer / machine that is slow ?

6. .org

.org MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2015
    yes...undoubtedly there are...so why jump in with this :

7. .org

.org MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2015
    nowhere is there any mention of a slow computer / machine.

8. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you, and PLease relax... it was a misunderstanding, but it is true, My computer is very fast (for my purposes)
    After switching it on, everything is ready in a few seconds, except for the connection to the net.

I re-checked and re-checked, and the I noticed for some reason, I am not connected to our home-network, but to a work-network. I clicked here and there and saw that in that work Network, there was some mentioning of Windows Media Player, which I never use (only VLC) and also in the details, there was a link to a MS Website about upgrading to Win10.....
    This is a private household and we have three computers connected...

After much trying this and that, I suddenly was connected to Home Network again, and the connection connects normal again. Maybe I downloaded one of the no-no Win10 upgrade updates? Where should I look, and for what?

What are the update KB numbers that need to be removed?

I want nothing to do with Win10, even before reading this in a certainly trustworthy source:

When trying to post this, I was told I may not post links.

If you want to read what I mentioned about Win 10, go to forbes(dot)com, surely not a spam magazine and check for the article: "microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking"

9. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  10. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    #10 ThomasMann, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    (OP)
    Thank You Michaela, I will run these commands, before I shut down the computer later.
    I will then let you know if there are any problems... :worthy:

PS :offtopic: Looking at your signature, I am afraid we will not meet---- There is no one in heaven that I know.
    All interesting people will meet in hell. Maybe we could lease the latrine cleaners, you mentioned, to work in hell too?
    After all, it is the same corporation that owns both...
    :dance: :devil: :bananajoj2:

Added in the evening:
    I have installed the cmds on Skaendos list, and everything seems to be fine. About half of those updates had been installed. I will re.-check in a few months if one of them turns up again.

Thanks