Vestro 320 and wireless

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cyberbot, Apr 10, 2012.

1. cyberbot

cyberbot MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2011
    hey guys
    i bought Vestro 320 second hands, was with Win XP, i installed Win7 and someone can't get the wireless working,
    can you please advise either it has wirless or not?

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Shoudnt you know if it has a Wireless networkscard?? Afterall it seems like it had before you installed W7 so it doesnt automatically vanish just beacuse you change OS.
    Make sure that you installed all necessary drivers and the hardwareswitch (if there's one) isnt set to off..

3. cyberbot

Jul 30, 2011
    thank you for trying to help me,
    as i said it second hands and was empty HDD so had to reinstall it,
    all drivers are installed but according to the site it has Wifi somehow,
    i enable it on the BIOS but still can't see it

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #4 PhaseDoubt, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
    Open Device Manager and confirm you have a wireless card installed. You can read all you want on the internet, but until you actually look to see if you have the card you're just guessing. The Dell site says, "Dell Wireless 1397 Half Mini-Card (Optional on selected models)". You may have a "selected model" where the option of wireless connectivity was not selected. Was wireless working under XP?

Start>Right Click "Computer">Manage>Device Manager>expand Network adapters and look for a wireless LAN card. If you have the card, you can update the driver by right clicking the device, selecting "Properties" then the "Drivers" tab.

If you have the LAN card and the latest driver you'll need to open the Network and Sharing Center and either create a new wireless network or connect to an existing one.

5. cyberbot

Jul 30, 2011
    thank you for the answer,
    if i go to the device manager all the drivers are installed and i see just my Lan network card installed no wireless one,
    maybe trying to install the driver of Dell Wireless 1397 Half Mini-Card and see what will happend?

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    If by "no wireless one" you mean you have no wireless card, installing wireless drivers will do you no good whatsover... got to have a wireless card of some kind. If not internal then USB or maybe even PCMCIA if you have the slot.

7. cyberbot

Jul 30, 2011
    thank you
    i will try to get USB one!