vgn-s5xp can´t read flashdrives

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by carltor, Sep 11, 2010.

1. carltor

carltor MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2010
    #1 carltor, Sep 11, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
    hello...i need help with a vaio vgn-s5xp.....so maybe you can help me, mi laptop don´t recognize usb flash drive...can read hard disk external, can print, can use usb camera, but my flash drive say need format, also my pic cam. i tried uninstall drivers, and don`t work. do you have any idea? ....the same problem with cd rom, don´t read any cds or dvds, is a mats**ta uj-832d, firmware actualized from vaio webpage. so if you can help me with that, i will be very grateful. i don`t have recovery discs or any kind of cds because i recently acquired the laptop...secondhand.
    sorry if it bothers you but i´m tired to waste time trying to solve this problems....hope just be software problems or maybe xp had some instalation problems.

thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    #2 Matrix Leader, Sep 18, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Format is not necessary..I would try a repair install from a good ISO on the forum. You can alter the .SIF to install the serial, but also allow the repair install option. You will need the drivers from the sony website, and you will also save your informatio9n from a format. I would think about moving info from the flash drive and formatting it from XP if it was previously formatted from another version OS..

First things to try, do not jump to format and reinstall unless you have no information to lose.

4. carltor

carltor MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2010
    the reinstalation option or format, i don`t know how can i do it if the cdrom don´t recognize cd´s or dvd´s.
    already use all the drivers package from sony website, even use another cdrom, from anohter laptop, don´t work, that is i am worried because if i format can´t continue because the cd rom don´t work. Maybe if format the hard disk in other pc, this colud work?.

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Is your cd/dvd rom drive recognised in the bios ? also go into device manager in windows and see if there are any drivers with yellow exclamation marks. You could try removing the cdrom drivers altogether and let windows reinstall them. You need to get the cdrom working first before you even think about formatting you hard drive.

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Try this..it may be that filters were installed by a burning program or virus and not removed properly. Some registry fix programs muck things up also..

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry.
    5. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    Be sure the subkey pertains to cd drives, there will be many subkeys (for mice, pointers, etc) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}...Just open them and look for DVD/CD-ROM Drives in the top line..

uninstalling the drives seldom works, but may be an option. Restore point also may work with system restore..

7. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    Check in the BIOS settings and see if your DVD drive is listed there or not....

ensure that your boot options are set up in a way that the internal DVD drive or optical drive is the first boot device and that your HDD is your second boot device....

now.....insert the Windows Installaiton CD or DVD in the DVD drive......and reboot your computer......

just check to see if you get the "Press any key to boot from ..etc..." message.....

If you DID get it then press any key and start the setup......if not......then revert back to me....

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #8 911medic, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
    its not a bios issue, it is the registry.... if there are yellow exclamation points next to the cd drives in the device manager, the filter removal will work.

You can also probably use the boot device manager of the bios (F11, F12, or like) to boot from these devices...You should be able to choose boot media, either HD, CD/DVD, or usb