VHD Booting in Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Pegatron, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Pegatron

Pegatron MDL Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Does anyone know how to boot from a VHD image in Windows 8? Particularly build 7959?:confused:

2. soulworksinc

soulworksinc MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2011
    Get EasyBCD and add the vhd image to the boot list.

check the second half of windows8geek. com/2011/04/install-windows-8-in-a-virtual-machine-bootable-vhd/ for more details.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ShadowAnimal

ShadowAnimal MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2011
    Hmmm... never thought of that, I will try it once I get my hands on Windows 8 soon :D

4. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    You can also use Windows Virtual PC (the one for windows 7), Install Windows 8 that way (uses VHD), on reboot it will BSOD every time (in the virtual machine), stop at this point, use EasyBCD to easily add the VHD as boot entry, reboot, now you have a nearly fully installed VHD that finalizes itself, you won't be able to use it inside of Virtual PC, these builds don't like virtual machines, reason it crashes after setup

This is just another way of 'creating' a VHD, it's a little better as you can use your windows while it installs, so once your boot into the vhd it only takes some minutes until your desktop

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. soulworksinc

soulworksinc MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2011
    honestly, the install.wim -> .vhd method described in the article is pretty quick. when you boot to the vhd it's already transferred the files to set up the system, so there's no wait time there.

not knocking your method, just my opinion here. :smokecowboy:

6. vois

vois MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2010
    i Think that can be also useful this program that give a GUI to ImageX
    autoitscript. com/site/autoit-tools/gimagex/