Video and audio out of sync when I update from Build 1511.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by amdreton, Nov 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. amdreton

amdreton MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2019
    PROBLEM:
    [NOTE: I installed W10 for the first time, a couple of days ago.]

When playing videos on Firefox (70.0.1 (32-bit)) and on Foobar2000 (with foo_youtube component, both up to date) the audio seems to play fine but the video slows down. Foobar (foo_youtube) has a couple of options to synchronize the video but neither worked. It syncs/forwards to the correct frame but when the video resumes playing it begins to slow down, while the audio plays fine.

WHEN IS THE PROBLEM ENCOUNTERED:
    [NOTE: I had W7 Pro installed for the past several years, no problem with video playback then.]
    • Clean installed W10 Pro Build 1511 (VIDEO AND AUDIO STILL PLAY FINE AT THAT POINT). But, then, I let Windows install all the updates available and now the video and audio are out of sync as described above.
    • Clean installed Build 1909: video and audio are out of sync. (Re-installed Build 1511: the problem goes away. This is the current installation I'm running.)
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 32-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release.151029-1700)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: Inspiron 545s
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 450 @ 2.20GHz, ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 3072MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 3062MB RAM
    Page File: 1551MB used, 2789MB available
    DirectX Version: 9Ex
    Card name: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0)

[NOTE: Inspiron 545s is no longer supported. (There is a BIOS update on the DELL site but everything else is for Windows 7 or older]
    WHAT I HAVE TRIED TO FIX THE PROBLEM:
    TROUBLESHOOTING:
    • Ran the troubleshooting tools for sound and video.
    SOUND SETTINGS:
    • Checked "Disable all enhancements".
    • Changed the default audio format to 16 bit, 44100 Hz.
    • Un-checked “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device".
    DEVICE MANAGER:
    • Disabled "High Precision Event Timer".
    • Un-installed "High definition audio device" and restarted computer.

POWER SETTINGS:
    • Changed the "minimum processor state" of the power plan to 100%.
    • Disabled "Fast startup".
    VIRTUAL MEMORY (PAGING FILE SIZE):
    • Set to custom size (calculating according to my specs).
    BIOS:
    • All settings set to default.

I would really appreciate it if someone had any ideas on how to solve this. Currently I can't afford a new computer or new hardware (I've had several expensive surgeries lately, and I have at least one more to go) so I'm stuck with this PC.

Thank you very much for your time! :)

2. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
  3. amdreton

amdreton MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2019
    Thank you. I will try that now. I'll report how it goes. (I got an error when it was extracting: "This OS is not supported". I guess it tried to run the setup file automatically or something. It seems to have extracted properly.)

4. amdreton

amdreton MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2019
    It didn't solve the issue, unfortunately. Here's what I did:

I checked device manager and it showed that Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0) was installed. Nevertheless, I uninstalled it and it changed to the generic Microsoft driver. I then followed the installation_readme.txt, under the advanced startup setting that you recommended. It installed the Vista driver, plus "Intel graphics media accelerator driver" (which shows up under programs but without publisher info, size, etc.).

As soon as I restarted and it detected an internet connection it updated to the same Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0) it had before. But, it seems to have kept several files (under "driver details") from the driver I installed.

I checked "Defer updates" (I have to check that in Build 1511 for W Update to establish a connection) and overnight it updated to Build 17763. Now the video is out of sync again.

5. amdreton

amdreton MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2019
    I had just re-installed it for the second time when I saw your post. I had re-started a couple of times and it seems to have stuck hehe. Video seems to play fine. Thanks for the link, I will implement that later today. Hopefully that'll do it. :cheers: