Video card busted?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Asmodai, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Asmodai

Asmodai MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2007
    I'm seeing weird (texture?) problems while playing games, it appears some textures are beeing streched into triangles.... I have a ATI Radeon X1900 and I've had it for a year now...

I'll try to upload some screenshots later today, I'm @ school now >.>

2. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    It would be good to know when these errors come in place...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Have you overclocked your card? What about the fans? Is there maybe a problem of overheating due to "dirty" fans? Have you tried to update your drivers / looked for game patches to update it?

Yen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    I agree with Yen... another question: Does this only happen when using software which needs high perfomance? How about windows poop-a-loop?

5. Asmodai

Asmodai MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2007
    I have updated my drivers, even tried a fresh reinstall but that didnt work either... I havent overclocked my card, because I didnt find it necessary...

and it happens in all my games, and games alone... Like the Crysis Demo, World in Conflict and even in a low requirement games such as Guild Wars

6. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    How about cleaning the card and/or fan, the thing Yen pointed out?

How about DirectX? Have you tried 3DMark?

7. Asmodai

Asmodai MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2007
    it isnt dirty, and I have the latest directx... but whats 3Dmark?

8. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
  9. Asmodai

Asmodai MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2007
    its not just Guild Wars, I have it in all my games.... for example: World in Conflict, Crysis SP Demo, Battlefield 2142

I'm downloading 3Dmark now...

10. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how to help you. Let's see...

11. Asmodai

Asmodai MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2007
    well I ran a test with 3DMark, and I saw the glitch two times in different movies, but it didnt give me any error message....
    I did learn that my computer can handle shadows very well, but not particles and smoke...

I uploaded the results, maybe you can make any sense of it....

Attached Files:

12. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    to be honest, I'm not sure how to help you...
    How about any driver checks? Maybe taking out the card; trying it in another computer or just putting it in another slot?

Such a remote diagnosis is really hard stuff...

13. Asmodai

Asmodai MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2007
    I cant really test it in another PC, my dads PC is AGP and my friends PC is also AGP >.<

I'll test with some more games....

14. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Yeah, do so ;) We'll see...

15. Cythrawl

Cythrawl MDL Junior Member

May 12, 2007
    Get some artic silver 5 paste. Remove the current heatsink, clean all the gunk off with some 99% achohol or Nail Polish remover. Put some AS5 on the core and reseat your heatsink (this is on the video card BTW). Even better purchase a different cooler for your Videocard as well.

Its probably the core overheating as it doesnt happen right away. It could be becuase the HSF is not sitting right for whatever reason.

If after you do this, its still got an issue then I would suspect the RAM on the videocard is faulty. If thats the case then you either have to get in touch with the MFG of the card and see if its cost effective to get it repaired or replace the card..

16. Asmodai

Asmodai MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2007
    Yea I figured it was a heating problem... but never the less the problem is solved....

I bought myself a 8800 GT :p
    actually I'm still waiting for it, and am currently playing with my old X800 GTO :D
    Surprisingly it can handle Crysis on low/med :O

17. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Glad to hear everything's fine now. From what the pictures were showing, I was almost perfectly sure: it must be some hardware problem.

Have fun playing! At the moment, I'm download Crysis Demo via µTorrent but I'm pretty sure I'll buy it...

18. Asmodai

Asmodai MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2007
    I played the demo, it was great, but it gets so much better after it (wont spoil anything tho, since I still need to complete it (waiting for new card))

and multiplayer is addictive, add me if you ever buy it: DaemonHunter