video card install

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by fargo, Dec 10, 2011.

1. fargo

fargo MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    I am tickering with my granddaughters old compaq presario sr1817cl desktop, upgraded to xp pro added memory and changed over from onboard to a ati 4550 card and updated the bios. heres the problem I decided to bump up the video
    card to an ati 5670 for a little better game play but with this card installed the pc won't finish posting and the monitor is
    not getting a signal. actually the monitor is a hdtv with pc port. using the ati 4550 everything works like it should. the onboard is disabled and the bios is set for pci-e. I'm scratching my head on this one. thanks for any suggestions

2. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    you might try going to the AMD site and upgrading you grapics driver to the newest driverso_O

3. fargo

fargo MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    #3 fargo, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
    (OP)
    I'm not hearing the beep so I'm assuming its not posting is that correct and this card does not have an external power connection it should run off the pci e slot. the card fan is working as well as two other fans. the psu is
    300w 18a on 12v rail I've found online other people are using this card on
    300w psu. the monitor is black screen so I don't think I can do any checking that way I have the lastest driver

4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. fargo

fargo MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    thanks R29K and the rest of you guys for your input, my experience is limited, so what will clearing the cmos do and how do you do it? If this doesn't work I think I'll stick with the 4550 can't see spending more money on this old a pc. the motherboard and processor are too outdated.

6. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Clearing the cmos sets stuff to default. You need to check for the jumper on your motherboard and bridge the pins, while the PC is off. You could do a basic reset from in the bios but that would mean you have to be using the 4550.
    I have found that sometimes when you get a new video card you need to manually reset the cmos and then plug in the new card and boot up.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...