Video Card Is Not Recognized

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by mishtag, Apr 6, 2016.

1. mishtag

mishtag MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    After installing fresh win7 x32 Professional, the dedicated video card (NVidia 8400 GS) is not seen, and I am currently using the integrated one, I tried to run its driver but I got an error message.

2. ypvs

ypvs MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2013
    BIOS setting needs changing to disable integrated video card and/or enable AGP/PCie slot ? Remove and re-seat the card??

What make and model of motherboard or computer is it??

Did it work OK before the re-install?

3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    and.. whats the error message

4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Take out the video card & give the contacts a clean.
    Re-install the card, making sure the clip on the pci-e slot locks the card in.
    I like using a contact cleaner that's alcohol based. It's evaporates really quick without residue.
    A quick wipe will do if you don't have it...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mishtag

mishtag MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    Thanks to all and looks like the problem is solved, I don't know if I tried a wrong driver before or the card is not working sometimes, but last night I re-run a different driver and now I see the the card id in the device manager, it was late I didn't remove the cable from the integrated card, so because both cards are connected to the monitor I can't confirm from which one I have the picture, I will test it tonight by connecting only the dedicated card.
    The card is Nvidia 8400 GS but brand Galaxy, to be honest, it is a cheap one but I thought it might be still better than the on-board card, the computer is HP but I have changed the motherboard in the past.

ypvs, just curious to know, if I disabled the integrated video card from bois, and the dedicated card is faulty, how to go back to bios and change it back? Am I still be able to see a screen with bois option?

BTW, all the informations from the replys are useful and I might need them in the future, thanks a lot,

6. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Clear cmos jumper. Bios will reset to default (enabeling the onboard video).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. mishtag

mishtag MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2016
    I can confirm now that I have picture from the dedicated video card connected to DVI port.

Flipp3r, thanks for the info and I am glad that I will not need it, I cant image how it will be if I couldn't find that cmos jumper.

8. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Did you install the Chipset INF file? That tells Windows what hardware is on the MoBo?

Should be available with the drivers for the MoBo.

EDIT: I just saw that it was solved.

9. ypvs

ypvs MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2013
    A slightly more brutal option is to remove the CMOS battery (easier on a desktop than laptop!) and remove the power lead for a while