Video Files Stutter on LTSC 2019 (17763)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Goldeneyedog, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Goldeneyedog

Goldeneyedog MDL Novice

May 12, 2018
    #1 Goldeneyedog, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Hi guys,

I have an issue whereby any video file (from SSD or USB), played using any player (VLC, MPC, Windows Media Player, Gom, etc) will stutter every 5-30 seconds (just the video, the audio plays as it should). It's really irritating and whilst bearable I'm considering a fresh install in an attempt to resolve the problem, though I suspect this won't work. The problem is not present when using streaming services such as youtube, netflix etc; all streamed media is fine.

I've tried using K-Lite's codec pack and a variety of media players, though this has not worked.

Note: Everything else on this PC works perfectly, I've had no issues with gaming (including with the Resident Evil 2 Remake which works perfectly). Also worth noting that this video stuttering issue was not present on the standard Windows 10 Pro consumer version, it is exclusive to LTSC. The issue also does not present itself when editing videos on Premiere Pro.

System specs: I7-3770, GTX 970, 8gb Ram, 500gb SSD, Asus Mobo. - I suspect that the system specs have nothing to do with the issue as they are all dated enough to be fully functional with this OS.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to avoid a re-install.

Thanks guys

*edit* - Added info about Premiere Pro

2. Pearj

Pearj MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2017
    I too use LTSC and Premiere. I had "stuttering" playing back Google Earth fly-bys, but I thought it was just my google earth settings as I was recording it. I dumped the fly-by because I didn't want the stuttering in the end-product video. Maybe the stuttering was just in playback, and wouldn't of been present in the final product. I'll have to watch this thread to see if mine was a similar issue and if there's a fix for it.

Oh - and welcome to MDL - here's a thumbs up!

3. Goldeneyedog

Goldeneyedog MDL Novice

May 12, 2018
    I wouldn't know about that but perhaps someone else will. Premiere Pro's playback is actually fully functional on my PC, which I'd assume means it does not rely on whatever issue is causing the problem when using Media Players. Thanks for welcoming me to the page as well! I've been using LTSC for months now and that issue has been there since Day 1, I've just gotten fed up of trying to resolve the problem myself.

4. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Remove the graphics card & just try playing same files using integrated intel graphics.If issue is still there then something wrong with hdd(use crystaldiskinfo/ssd manufacturer tool to check hdd/ssd health) or windows/software(keep task manager open in background to notice any unusual cpu/ram usage spikes during stuttering). If issue is not there with integrated graphics then most likely a graphics card driver issue.

5. Goldeneyedog

Goldeneyedog MDL Novice

May 12, 2018
    I'll try the GFX card removal tomorrow. I did a do a manual uninstall of the driver first and revert to the Windows default driver with the GFX card still in and the problem persisted.

Have run a disk check and the results are as follows:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    CrystalDiskMark 5.5.0 x64 (C) 2007-2017 hiyohiyo
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    * MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
    * KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 285.228 MB/s
    Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 262.720 MB/s
    Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 179.619 MB/s [ 43852.3 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 164.146 MB/s [ 40074.7 IOPS]
    Sequential Read (T= 1) : 273.230 MB/s
    Sequential Write (T= 1) : 256.281 MB/s
    Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 25.898 MB/s [ 6322.8 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 46.392 MB/s [ 11326.2 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [C: 73.5% (341.7/465.2 GiB)] (x5) [Interval=5 sec]
    Date : 2019/08/04 5:17:51
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

This all seems normal to me for the SSD I have and tbh it's always seemed lightning fast for anything I've used it for. But, if there are any glaring issues there that you think might be worth looking into further please let me know.

As I said, I'll check with a GFX removal tomorrow, just wanted to post this here as I had time to check that before sleeping and in case it shows an obvious error which I am unaware of I thought I may as well upload it now.

All the best!

6. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    You ran crystaldiskmark which is a benchmarking tool different from crystaldiskinfo which is hdd/ssd health monitoring tool.Anyway it still seems fine but just run it for assurance.

7. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Looks normal for a SATA 2 controller, like what you will find with socket 775 and socket 1366.

It doesn't look like SATA 3. Looks like you will need to get a SATA 3 controller card, like I probably do with my socket 1366 rig.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    my experience might be helpful for u

I have something similar when im seeking few secs forward playing 4k video or heavy 2k video
    with vlc player,then its appear everywhere firefox even
    after restart its working without a problem untill i do the seeking again
    btw im on server 2016

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Would be interesting to know if it applies to a certain kind of video format.
    (It seems Premiere has better codecs installed)....

Can OP link to a short video file to download to check myself, please?
    I have the same GPU and also LTSC running....

Would be interesting if its H.264 or H.265 (HEVC).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Goldeneyedog

Goldeneyedog MDL Novice

May 12, 2018
    #10 Goldeneyedog, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    (OP)
    Hey guys, thank you all for your replies, here's a reply to several of the things you guys have said/asked.

1) I have now used CrystalDiskInfo and it says my drive is in good health.
    2) I believe I have now established that my SSD is Sata2 running on a Sata3 port (my mobo only has Sata 3 I believe). - I have established this through use of HWinFO64.
    3) If you wanted a video file to check it against, any 1080p rip of HBO's Chernobyl will work as a demonstration. The issue is present with ALL video files of any type / encoding H264 & 5 alike.
    4) I have tested the files on the IGPU with GFX Card removed and the issue is still present. Removal of the card actually creates another issue of what looks like a lack of vertical sync (slicing). I am not concerned about the new issue as this PC was used on iGPU only for about a year and that didn't happen on previous windows installs (I imagine that IS a driver issue).
    5) The mobo itself has 4 sata ports, I am using what I believe to be the primary port (topmost port), though it is impossible for me to use the others as the cpu cooler I am using is almost as wide as the motherboard itself and allows access to only one sata port.

So here's what I've done to try and resolve the issue: I've uninstalled all NVIDIA drivers & GeForceExperience, including any leftover files, and then reinstalled the latest driver (without using experience). This has not resolved the issue.

As a little further information, here is the model number of my mobo and name of my SSD (I am not sure what the exact model no of the SSD is).

Mobo: Asus P8H61-I R2.0 REV. 2.00 Mini ITX ( ** As far as I can tell, the ports are Sata 3 but I am basing this on HWiNFO's information ** )
    SSD: SK Hynix 500gb (Made in 2016)

Any further ideas would be appreciated but if possible I'd also ask if someone could direct me to the latest LTSC build which is available on this site? It seemed that the links had been suspended when I checked. If I can't resolve the issue, I will attempt a reinstall.

All the best guys!

EDIT: I don't believe the video playback issue is related to lack of Sata3 as if that were the case, video files would have presented this issue when the machine was running standard Windows 10 Pro / Manjaro Linux, and it did not have any issues on either of those. Secondly, I have no issue playing video files on my secondary pc which is just an upgraded optiplex 3020 with Win10Pro, GTX 750 and the manufacturer provided HDD.

EDIT 2: There is also no difference between 4k, 1080p, 720p / 480p playback in terms of the video stuttering problem. It appears that resolution does not affect it. The only time I do not notice the stutter is when watching Rick and Morty (any season 1080/720p); my guess is that the stutter is still present but just not noticeable on a cartoon for some reason.

11. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    If you wanted to see if it is the OS itself, you could install the latest 19H1 Pro. If the stuttering is still there it is not the OS, but something else.

12. Goldeneyedog

Goldeneyedog MDL Novice

May 12, 2018
    I'd definitely like to try that. Could you provide a link to it if possible please? No worries if you can't.

Thanks dude!

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #14 Yen, Aug 7, 2019
    Your mobo has the H61 chipset, means SATA II (3Gb/s). Your posted speeds are typically SATA II.
    Anyway if you compare typical video bandwidth to bus speed SATA II can never be an issue.
    Another thing is PCIE 2.0. But that's also by far enough for video.

Issues such as stuttering or tearing are buffering / sync / caching related.
    It strongly depends on attributes of the video. Therefore metadata of it are important. (Also frame rate)
    Generally H.265 requires more operations to decode and is more prone to stuttering...(except there is native HW acceleration for H.265)

Kubuntu 18.04 for instance has a bug out of the box that causes tearing:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...nt-tearing-fix-up-to-current-lts-18-04.77503/

To fix such things you could try different settings at the Nvidia control panel, for instance enable triple buffering.

Or try the Nvidia studio driver instead of the GRD. Studio drivers are made for video playback and editing.
    Have you tried already?

BTW to completely remove driver you'd have to tick 'perform a clean installation' within the nvidia setup.

I have the Chernobyl rip at home. It's within a MKV container. Will test it when I am back home.
    I usually watch on my Linux media server or the TV player itself. Do not use LTSC quite often....

Anyway I am curious if it is a LTSC only issue.

14. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    Im playing uncompressed .vob files, dvd's from mounted iso's in vlc, no problems here.

15. freiwald

freiwald MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2015
    same nvidia card here, also on LTSC.
    no problems playing any video files from any hdd/ssd/usb in any player. same for all may friends who run LTSC.

so my guess is something is just broke on your end. did you try to reinstall windows?

16. Goldeneyedog

Goldeneyedog MDL Novice

May 12, 2018
    #17 Goldeneyedog, Aug 7, 2019
    (OP)
    Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, I assume something did break on my end but I'm not sure why, the installation worked first time and seemed completely straight forward (I say this because I've read many posts on this forum from people who claim to have had difficulty installing LTSC for various reasons).

@Yen - I did the "clean" installation, yes. I always use that option as I've had issues on previous pcs caused from not doing that. It's definitely an "LTSC only" issue in that the problem has only presented itself on this OS install on this PC, but, I guess it is possible that this may have been triggered by something in the OS/Drivers that could have happened on other Windows builds. I'm going to have a look through the forum to find the latest LTSC which is available here and download that.

I will try enabling tripple buffering first and failing that will install the studio driver and post back with results before attempting a reinstall.

Thanks again guys, you've all been really helpful!

EDIT: Alright, I'm really struggling here. Most of the 1903 LTSC Iso links on this website are currently down and I cannot find anything beyond 1809 off-site. Does anyone happen to have a link to it kicking about that they could drop here? Thanks!

17. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    There is no such thing as 1903 LTSC. Check your PM.

18. Goldeneyedog

Goldeneyedog MDL Novice

May 12, 2018
    #19 Goldeneyedog, Aug 7, 2019
    (OP)
    I had thought that myself, I think I just misunderstood when you said to try 19H1 and I found threads discussing it here, didn't realise it was just about the standard "Pro" version. Sorry, my mistake!

Update: Reinstalling LTSC did not resolve the issue (both prior to and after Nvidia driver installation). I'm going to boot into a Linux USB and check if the problem is noticeable on that.

19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I just have tested Chernobyl. It works fine here.
    Have to say my rip is 'only' 720p, though. Codec H.264 (25FPS) anything in a MKV container, VLC version 3.0.7.1

Also tested own made slide show at 1080p. Codec H.264 (60FPS) in a mp4 container. Smooth.
    You can go to statistics in VLC and check for lost frames if there should be some...