Virtual Box vs VmWare

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by LeeMorgan, Jan 8, 2020.

1. LeeMorgan

LeeMorgan MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2013
    Hello,

Simple question: Is it Worth to create a virtual machine with Virtualbox, or it's better to create it with VmWare?

I worked with both of them about 10 years ago, but now I don't know if Virtual Box still working the same as it was 10 years ago.

It's for do some fun win Windows 7 and Windows server 2008...:D

Thank you very much.

2. If you last used VirtualBox since that long ago, then obviously it would've changed significantly. I last used it over two years ago (as I found it awkward and having to download an installer for every new release was just silly. I much prefer Virtual PC 2007). I can't say anything about VMWare though as I never used it.

3. hotmusik4u

hotmusik4u MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2018
    Hello!

I use virtualbox for many years. I've used the vmware.

after I found the portable version, working with virtualbox got better.

:)

4. LeeMorgan

LeeMorgan MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2013
    Hello @Bryn89 , and thank you for your response.

The fact is after use both of them ten years ago, I realised VmWare was so much better than Virtual Box. What I wanted to know is if Vitual Box still working the same (the same worse than VmWare, of course), so, after read your comment, it seems to me is still working in the same way.

The bad thing is that VmWare license is still expensive for me. Have to use a trial version for work with it.

Thank you @hotmusik4u , I'll give a chance to Virtual Box, to see if it worth.

5. There's always VMWare Workstation Player, which is 100% free.

6. LeeMorgan

LeeMorgan MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2013
    And has it any restriction of use, comparing it to a license version?

7. The only downside of it is that it isn't formally supported by VMWare themselves. Everything else about is fine. It's completely free of charge, so use it as long as you like :D

8. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #9 smallhagrid, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    I use both & vastly prefer VMWare WS mainly because it deals with adding disk drives directly as opposed to making them into network shares - which is very awkward IMO.
    There are other VB quirks too, but for single/simple VM uses VB is good, which is why I have both.
    If I need a windoze VM with multiple drive letters though, no contest, it is VMWare all the way.

9. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    If you are using Windows 10 use Hyper-V. It works great!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Linux host ONLY for me - no windoze things that came after XP are used here, nor will be.

11. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    Oh my....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. oneextraid

oneextraid MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    One significant difference between the two is that Vmware won't support older processors whereas Virtualbox will.

13. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
  14. Kekikage

Kekikage MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2020
    I prefer VMWare, works better for everything.
    Even Player is superior to VirtualBox, but that's my opinion :)

15. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    It did, if it would support Snapshots and running more than one VM at a time.

16. Leif Targo

Leif Targo MDL Junior Member

Oct 26, 2009
    VMware Player supports running more than one VM at a time. Just start a second or more Players.
    If you shutdown a VM in a Player, the Player for this VM closes too. In Workstation the GUI remains open
    and you can start direct another VM.
    Snapshots are missing in Player, but with a SSD its easy just to copy the hole VM folder (or make a backup of the .vmdk HD).

I prefer VMware products, because if you earn your money in IT, knowledge of VMware products is better :p - never saw a firm
    with VirtualBox...

17. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    It does not support Snapshots but It does support running more than VM at a time (just open a new VM Player instance)

18. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    #20 Carlos Detweiller, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Snapshots are essential for me (using them as "Undo disks" for tests). If Player did at least support non-controllable snapshotting, so-called Undo-disks, like MS Virtual PC does (at shutdown, asking if you would like to keep the session that just ended and act accordingly), I could use it.

With the amount of data that has to be written in VM works (GBs to potentially TBs a day, especially when using snapshots), an SSD would wear out fast, so, I'm using mechanical HDDs.