Virtual PC 2007 on Windows 8: Any method?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ps3cfw, Sep 1, 2012.

1. ps3cfw

ps3cfw MDL Junior Member

May 30, 2012
    #1 ps3cfw, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
    I used to use Virtual PC 2007 to boot older systems like 95 (Still got my old cd!) But if i try to install it on Windows 8, it just says : Compatibility problem, and it close itself, any way to get over this?

2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    On Windows 8 Pro/Enterprise, you has Hyper-V to do same work with much better options and scalability.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ps3cfw

ps3cfw MDL Junior Member

May 30, 2012
    Using Hyper-V, I used on windows 8 CP to get green screen whenever I used Youtube-Metro Games, i will try it now.

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    In Windows 8 RTM, Hyper-V is much stable now (equivalent to Server 2012). As video and many other drivers are not Windows 8 WHQL certified, users might have few problems here and there...like green/blue/black screen :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ps3cfw

ps3cfw MDL Junior Member

May 30, 2012
    I'm happy to say that I don't have any green screen problem at all, but I still can't use my old floppy image from Windows 95, so it's hard to install it, as it uses only VFD, and I don't have any idea how to use a VFD. (If someone wonders why I don't use Virtualbox, is because i get a black screen when I try to install every system.)

6. steviebops

steviebops MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2008
    I don't think there is, or can be, a fix to this. If you ignore the compatibility warning and run it anyway, you'll get a BSOD when starting a VM (0x000000D1 in vmm.sys). It seems to be a bug in a VPC kernel driver and patching this would invalidate the digital cert, requiring a "Disable driver signature enforcement" boot. It has already been patched for 32-bit Windows 8 but not for 64, probably due to this.

I don't consider Hyper-V to be a good replacement for desktop systems, it doesn't even support sound. Very much a server OS hypervisor.

I guess I'll just have to keep a Windows 7 system running for the older Windows 9x VMs and use VirtualBox for the XP VM.

7. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Why try to use VirtualPC when there are a hand full of alternatives live VirtualBox, VMware, or Hyper-V?