VirtualBox 3.0.2

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by jordan.turner1974, Aug 2, 2009.

1. jordan.turner1974

jordan.turner1974 MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    With VirtualBox 3.0.2 latest release, SMP (multi-processor support) and enhanced graphics support is available. Is there any talk on having SLIC/SLP 2.1 available for this virtualization tool? VirtualBox 3.0.2 package is alot smaller than VMWare Workstation and performance is much better, so I'm surpised not more attention has been given to this. Anyone know if the possibility of getting the update for this will be available to 2.1?

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #2 911medic, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jordan.turner1974

jordan.turner1974 MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    #3 jordan.turner1974, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    (OP)
    Will be used

911Medic, VB 3.02 obviously introduced the new SMP feature which surpass Virtual PC in terms of features (already did with snapshots). In terms of price, it surpasses VMWare workstation. In terms of its performances, it surpasses both VMWare and VPC. I think it is just a matter of time until it does change the virtualization landscape interms of desktop / laptop usage. It is just cleaner and faster from a user perspective. Even with the inclusion of VPC add-in into Windows 7, VB 3.x still a way better solution - let's not forget the snapshots also!

VB 3.x, is new in its features, technical people are more apt to use virtualization anyhow. Why would "good" technical people not use faster, cheaper, and better solution? Again, a matter of time IMHO.

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I agree with what you say, but support and marketing put VB on the backburner. A free utility with minimal support is not as appealing to the "big guys". Using a proprietary bios code, such as phoenix and VMware, costs. I think that is why VB does it the way they do.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mamber

mamber MDL Novice

Apr 7, 2009
    jordan.turner1974

That because Sun don't want it. Some times ago they plan to release a new product called Sun xVM Server built on VB core. This may bring VB to the next level - Corporate Infrastructure. But now they dropped that idea and moved to the Xen based solutions providing just selfmade extenstion to Xen for corporate customers. So now VirtualBox currently will stay at End-User level, just for us (home or standalone users) and nothing more. This is sad.

But, anyway I prefer VirtualBox and it would be nice to have inside VB all that features!