VirtualBox and USB

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by MDLB, Aug 3, 2012.

1. MDLB

MDLB MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2012
    Can someone clarify this for me? I haven't used VirtualBox much, but from what I understood there was NO USB support in the fully GPLed version. It was something included only in the closed source "personal/trial use" version.

But after installing the GPL version I saw that there IS a USB section displayed.

After a little research it now looks as if maybe USB 1.x is included in the GPL version but that the closed source version is required for USB 2.0 support? Is that how it goes?

On another note, are there any VirtualBox forks, to protect it from Oracle? I couldn't find any.

I ended up using VirtualBox because it seemed like the only free virtualization software that had a Mac version too. Any other suggestions for multiplatform virtualization that supports Windows guests?

2. MDLB

MDLB MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2012
    Thanks, I know that -- their "personal use and evaluation license" closed source license for the Extensions pack is the personal/trial license I mentioned above.

My question was whether USB 1.x support was included even in the base GPL version?