virtualbox GUEST INTERNET NEVER WORKS!!!!!!!! HELP????

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by stayboogy, Jul 3, 2011.

1. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    over the past several months i've never been able to get an internet connection from my guest os in virtual box. and i mean NEVER!!! no matter what i try it never works.

wired ethernet connection on host

i have the host only adapter installed

all options are ticked in properties for the adapter including bridged connection

i've set it to NAT, Bridged, etc etc in VB settings, also have tried bridging within windows and many variations in between, and i never get an internet connection in my guest OS, no matter what OS it is, no matter what version of VirtualBox as well

someone please explain to me what the hell is wrong with this crap??? i've been back and forth with this crap for months and nothing...

guest and host internet work perfectly in vmware player, but i like virtual box better personally but I'M ABOUT AT WITS END WITH IT DUE TO THE WORST INTERNET CONNECTION HASSLE I'VE EVER ENCOUNTERED...

seriously, someone please help me??? what do i have to do to get it working???

2. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011

yes, and yes.

never any dice here no matter what...

3. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #4 FreeStyler, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
    Mmm, just a thought... do you have a router setup which strictly binds computers (MAC Addresses) allowed to enter the internet?

4. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    no, i do not believe so.

5. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    it works in version 2.2.4.0 but not in the others so it's a programming error on Oracle's side and has nothing to do with my machine or its configuration.

now, if i can just make this one portable like someone has already done for the later versions i'll be happy...

6. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    I doubt this statement, maybe it is your hardware, your config or even you capabilities to install something and rtfm, if this was not the case 99% of the topics on Virtualbox forums would be about similar issues, don't you think?

7. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    #8 stayboogy, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
    (OP)
    well it's not my hardware or anything on my end--if it was why would everything work perfectly with version 2.2.4.0? it's a programming error or driver error on their part. at this very moment i'm running a vm in virtual box 2.2.4.0 and the internet works just fine. this is not the case with any builds 3.0 and up... as a matter of fact i have it all set up the exact way i had it set up with the latest builds and it did not work then but does now--so i care not that you doubt what i'm saying cause i know it to be fact based on all my observations...

my abilities to install anything have nothing to do with it either. not to be completely disrespectful but, i know what the heck i'm doing, and that was just mildly insulting...

and not on VB's forums but i've seen the same thing i've posted about posted quite a few places in the last few months (various forums, various user OSs as well) when i first noticed that it would not work no matter what was done in builds 3.0 and up.

i'm leaning more to driver being the culprit, but it's highly more likely it's a combination of driver and programming...

8. user_hidden

user_hidden MDL Expert

Dec 18, 2007
    are you saying you have no internet at all in the VM when you install XP or Win7 as example ?

uninstall Vbox.....run a regcleaner like CCleaner.....reboot
    reinstal 4.0.10 Vbox and DO NOT install "Host Only Adapter" and see if when you run a VM if you get Internet.

this was a fix MANY versions ago but i have not experienced any of what you describe in a looooong while and from memory it was only
    an version in the 3.x builds.

9. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    my problems are with any 3.x and up builds apparently thus far.

thanks for the suggestion user_hidden, i'll try that a little later and post. got some festivities to attend right now...

the later version is working just fine though, and the only limitation with it is how the shared folders work, which isn't too big of a deal as i just use a usb drive as a work around for that.

we shall see...

10. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    well that didn't work either user_hidden.

there is a real problem with their software. it could be just an incompatibility issue, but this is something i highly doubt because version 2 works without a hitch on my machine on all the same hardware with the exact same configuration...

11. nleknh

nleknh MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2011
    #12 nleknh, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hello, stayboogy. Try to reinstall the Windows with format c:\ , maybe it will work. Maybe you have a virus, use ESET NOD32, and scan your hard drive.

Download Virscan here:
    Code:
    no_short_urls_allowed/6d8egsk

12. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    #13 stayboogy, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    nope, no virus/maleware/etc here.
    and trust me, i know how to do clean installs...

read a few posts above as virtual box version 2.2.4.0 guest and host internet work fine. like i said this has nothing to do with my configuration or anything else on my end. if it was then the earlier version wouldn't work either. this is an oracle programming/driver problem...

13. nexus10

nexus10 MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2010
    VirtualBox 4.1.0 (released 2011-07-19) fixes the issue, i had the same problem then i install this release it work with no problem