Virtualbox or VMWare installed in WES7 (Thin PC)

Discussion in 'Windows Embedded' started by MrChris, Nov 15, 2012.

1. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    #1 MrChris, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
    So I got to thinking (as I do from time to time). I have been wanting to for a long time now have a lightweight OS footprint such as wes7 as light as possible maybe "thin pc" installed on a host machine laptop or pc and have virtualbox or vmware installed on that. so I could have have toggle between the guest os's using whatever vm software I am using such as vb or vmware. Or would it be possible to use WinPE as the host os. The main idea here is to keep the host os as small as possible but still able to support either vmware or vbox to be able to create many other guest os's.

Is there any recomended templates I could use for wes7 that will allow me to install vb or vmware inside wes7?

Thanks,

~MC

2. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    Yeah that is what I am looking for but Hyper-V has some limitations that I am not fond of such as lack of usb support a few others I cant think of at the moment. And esxi is a bit thick in footprint and if not mistaken does not allow to view the guests os's from the host I dont think? But yeah that is what I am after basically. vmware is open based and sorta lightweight and vmware feature rich but a bit thicker. I was looking for a baremetal meathod that is small in foot print. I was kinda thinking that I wasnt the only one that would like to see virtualbox or vmware running on a stripped down windows os meant to only run vm guests and allow to toggle between them from the host.

3. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    Do you know of any Windows based host versions that are lightweight but powerful enough to run either virtualbox or vmware? I cant help but think that since WES7 is modular based it can be customized to include all the dependencies to run wither vb or vmware. That way I can set the shell of windows to boot right to vb or vmware rather than a cmd.

~MC