[DISCUSSION] VirtualBox - Update, SLP & SLIC

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by cigolo_, Dec 30, 2008.

1. cigolo_

cigolo_ MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2007
    Hi, is there a way to mod win32 VirtualBox bios? Reading help only under linux there is the possibility to edit DMI table so i ask you if someone has got a modded VB with SLP=HP and SLIC=asus. Thanks,

cigolo

2. Nurple

Nurple MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2009
    #2 Nurple, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. cigolo_

cigolo_ MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2007
    Thanks a lot! Perfectly working.
    Do you know if there's a solution for vista oem?

cigolo

4. Nurple

Nurple MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2009
    Sorry, but I've not tried it with Vista. Be nice if it's just as easy through :)

5. luv2chill

luv2chill MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2008
    Thanks Nurple (and _cigolo for confirming). I have spent hours on this today trying to get this to work with Dell OEMBIOS (all my computers are Dells so I always use that OEMBIOS set) and could never get it working. But I tried the strings Nurple posted (along with the HP CD4E1902 OEMBIOS set) and low and behold it works! So the HP OEMBIOS set must be looking in the right place for the strings, whereas the Dell set must be looking elsewhere. I came across other posts on the net of people that couldn't get the <extradataitem> method working for Dell either.

Unfortunately there is no solution for Vista (SLP2.0) yet, but I bet as SLP2.0 matures there will be some accomodation made--especially once Win7 is out.

But in the meantime, this is great for a fast XP virtual machine with USB support! Virtual PC 2007 unfortunately doesn't have any support for USB and I didn't feel like messing with VMWare... in this case Virtualbox is perfect.

Thanks again.

6. user_hidden

user_hidden MDL Expert

Dec 18, 2007
    which xml file did you add this to?
    will oembios report what filesets will pass in order to check the mod?

7. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    The DELL SLP string addresses are not in the valid range for DMI. The code in the example simulates DMI code.

Dell is impossible to activate by simply adding SLP info to the DMI area. There address ranges are much tighter than HP, and are located in the mainbios..

HP range is basically the whole bios file, and use DMI specifically in OEM machines....:D:D

Slic info is not possible for VB..You will need to use VMWare and a modded bios. They are Phoenix and there are links to modded bios for Dell, HP, Sony, etc..

The program has support for just about any hardware, and is very easy to set up and read the added bios..This is your best option for Vista/Server2k8..

This is My opinion.

And yes, with these strings in the XML file, OEMBIOS.EXE will validate the oembios files CRC that you need..:D:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. user_hidden

user_hidden MDL Expert

Dec 18, 2007
    but which xml do we add it to?
    the main virtualbox.xml or the actual xml for the VM ie: winxp.xml

9. Nurple

Nurple MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2009
    Hi, sorry for not replying sooner, I haven't been checking this section.

You add the strings it to the actual XML file for the VM.

10. user_hidden

user_hidden MDL Expert

Dec 18, 2007
    #10 user_hidden, May 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  11. luv2chill

luv2chill MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2008
    For me, OEMBIOS.exe still reported that none of the OEMBIOS sets would work, but with those strings in the xml file XP did preactivate with the latest HP OEMBIOS set from oembios.net.

So I suggest just to try it and see.

BTW thanks 911medic for the additional insight.

12. user_hidden

user_hidden MDL Expert

Dec 18, 2007
    @luv2chill

thanks for the push....it works with the HP file set :)

13. atreyu

atreyu MDL Junior Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Actually SLIC is possible for Vista / Seven, but simply not worth the fuss since it is easy and already done with VMware or Virtual PC.

And there are multiple paths, at least 2 will work:

- using a bios image like VMware, see www dot virtualbox dot org slash ticket slash 1929 - there is an undocumented extradata BiosRom but I don't believe it is feasible.

- changing the vm - hey, it's open source! the current acpi table is defined somewhere in DevACPI.cpp - however it seems an herculeous task, see www dot virtualbox dot org slash wiki slash Windows build instructions, and the version is different than "retail"

- a little touch in VBoxDD.dll, the best thing to do in a raining holyday :D

14. Barney Rubble

Barney Rubble MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2008
    Ok, where can I download that OpenSolaris version of either VMware or Virtual PC?

15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes is possible in virtualbox linux version not on windows os also not easy for the novice user.:(

16. atreyu

atreyu MDL Junior Member

Nov 15, 2009
    You have a point there. I can change the open source to add a slic, but cant create binaries.

Why everyone says that VB SLIC is not possible on windows? Yes, it is!

17. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Make it & you will be the hero of the day

sebus

18. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    OK, which SLIC does this emulate?

sebus