Virtualize current XP setup for Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by RawData, Oct 27, 2009.

1. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Thanks, did not yet use this one (as it is only 3 days "old"), but sure moved my old PC to VirtualPC 2007 via Ghost image
    Not a problem at all

sebus

3. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Disk2vhd seems to be updated pretty short intervals, so apparently their forum feedback is working. Latest I saw was v1.21.

So... ghost works and you can boot the image, too?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. stme68

stme68 MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2009
    Hi,
    I just try to create the VHD of my XP partition... VHD has been created, but when I try to create a Virtual Machine in W7, i see the the image is about 35GB but the total disk size allocated is too big (my HD is 750GB and divided in 5 partitions... the total size of the HD is written in the image as max dimension).
    M$ virtual PC is managing up to 127GB disk size and I do not find any way to change this value... also used VHDResizer... no chance!!

RESULT: W7 do not load the VHD!!

Any suggestion on how to solve is apreciated.

Thanks

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Yes, Ghost image works fine, as the image came from IDE & VPC emulates IDE, so no 07E BSoD error
    Finds all hardware & installs it, then, only additions & you are done

stme68, use Ghost & only image/copy sys partition for the start

sebus

6. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    I saw the same problem, so I tried several versions of Disk2vhd. Version 1.30 even have intelide's in it, but I still was unable to get VHD working correctly with it.

Finally I installed Acronis True Image and cloned the system to smaller HD and made backup image of it. Converted that to VHD with ATI. Took out original system disk and put empty in, installed Win7... only have computer freezing with black screen at near the end of installation. Had to install again from the scracth, but Win7 worked.

The VHD I made earlier was bootable, but virtualized system did not load completely and crashed without error, so it may take some work.

I've been lately been busy and I need a working system, so who knows when I find free time to play with EyeCandy7 again...

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Why all this messing about?

Just clone the system directly to VPV (boot VPC VM with WinPE). Job done

sebus

8. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Why? To let us use the previous nicely configured and tweaked XP system... with all those installed and configured softwares on it.

For example, I use some software which has no native 64bit (compatible with previous versions) available or they flat out don't work in 64bit Seven. While some of those can be replaced with other softwares, I don't have too much spare time. That is, being without non-working system while installing and configuring hordes of software and still manage to find replacements for some of them.

Virtualizing the previous system saves time and effort. If I only could get it to work well enough. Currently I still mainly use XP and only when I have a little spare time, swap HD's to boot up Win7.

9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Exactly, do not mess with disk conversions etc

Create VM in VPC, boot it off WinPE image, do the same with real machine you want to convert, use Ghost (or whatever else, Ghost is just easy) for 1 to one copy

Job dane, you keep the same "NICE" setup of yours

It works (I done it few times)
    Do you think I would advice you on something otherwise?

If you never done it before then test it (your real "NICE" setup does not get damaged this way)

And try to understand what you are reading before replying...

sebus

10. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    #10 RawData, Dec 2, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
    (OP)
    So far I've tried n+1 different approaches and none of them have good enough results for different reasons, but all resulting non-usable VM.

While that is somewhat confusing, I'll try and see what happens. I still expect at least I have to fix the HAL problem after that?

No, the problems is not you or your advice. It's me and my difficulties to understand in my usual half sleep state... :eek:

I've tried so many ways to do the job that I've lost the count, but I'll do what you say. I'm still not quite ready to give up.

Yeah... sorry. I should read more carefully, but sometimes I just jump to reply before I read the whole post. Sometimes my typing fingers are faster than my half sleeping brain. :p

Edit: There must be something (other than certain missing service) gone haywire in my setup, as I can't make the virtualized system work. No matter how I try it, system VM either ends up hanging or in early stage of booting up shuts down or seeminly "disappear" by closing the VM window. Unfortunately (because of missing "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy" service) I can't even use disk2vhd v1.4, which would be the easiest solution. Perhaps the best solution is just to give up Win7 or perhaps later install it as a secondary OS. Anyways, I don't have more time to waste with this right now, so it has to wait. :(

Still, thanks for Sebus for his endless patience...

11. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    What processor are you trying to move from/to?

Intel->Intel or you have AMD in the mix?

Any other peculiar hardware?

It all really is as simply as move working XP from hardware A to hardware B
    Apart from the HD controller little can no wrong (that can not be very easily fixed while booted in WinPE)

sebus

12. sirgawain123

sirgawain123 MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2009
    Time to move my hybrid XPSP3 (at c:)/W7 (d:) to a final W7 rig.
    (Hardware quit simple:p4, EIDE HD & DVD, ATI Radeon (DVI))
    I wanted to keep and virtualize my current XP setup as i dont have the original installation disks of some programs.
    So I used dsk2vhd to get a vhd file from c:, installed virtual PC07, attached the vhd file, and on making the virtual PC boot from VHD file, it passes the OS selection screen , start to boot XP as expected, but very soon, the boot halts in black screen.
    Any clue or help would be apreciated
    Thank in advance

13. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Tried Safe Mode?

sebus

14. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Do not believe things like this, but would not mind trying it

sebus

15. sirgawain123

sirgawain123 MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2009
    Thank SEBUS et al

Yes I tried, even tried to boot into safe mode/command prompt.

the booting halts quite early.

The only thing i cant think are video drivers. My next step would be configure my XP as plain MS VGA instead of Radeon drivers at 1280*1024. But before going through the hassle of reconfiguring, and recreating a new vhd, I´d better wait to hear if more educated pple could spot a fault into my procedure.

16. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    I would if I could sit in front of it, you can boot in VGA mode (one of the options during F8)

sebus

17. Analyz3r

Analyz3r MDL Junior Member

Oct 27, 2009
    I personally used VMWare Converter Standalone Client and everything worked fine.

18. sirgawain123

sirgawain123 MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2009
    I used disk2vhd ver1.4, for converting a working XP partition with the option of modifying HAL checked.....and the vhd i got that way was booted from VPC07 running under Windows7 at first try!

best regards