Virus + Microsoft update

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TechImpaired, Dec 23, 2011.

1. TechImpaired

TechImpaired MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2008
    Hello,

I'm having two problems with my computer that I think are unrelated. I know I have a virus because it causes pop-up ads every 2nd or 3rd time I open a browser window or go to a website. I've had this virus for at least a month. But recently, my computer has started acting wierd and freezing up when I try to view comments on YouTube. It's fine on most of the YouTube site and when I'm watching videos, but if I go to the comments page of a video my computer will freeze, the window will minimize and maximize itself on it's own, etc. I never had this problem before and near as I can tell it started happening after Microsoft auto-updated itself on my computer. The virus seems to be getting worse and now my computer often stalls when I type in a field. When I open the Task Manager during a freeze it says the CPU usage is 100%, though I don't know what that means.

I'd like to remove this virus and if possible revert my system back to before the update. My computer will not let me do a system restore so it would have to be done another way. I don't know what this virus is and my Ad-Aware program doesn't detect it. I'm attaching my HiJackThis log.

Attached Files:

2. TechImpaired

TechImpaired MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2008
    #3 TechImpaired, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
    (OP)
    OK, I ran the MalwareBytes scan and it found 2 objects, but these were from something I downloaded just recently. I also ran the Kaspersky tool. The pop-up ads are still there but now they only pop up once every couple of hours where before they popped up about every 3rd time I went to a site. The YouTube comments problem is unchanged.

3. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    it seems your machine is still infected. I don't use Bitdefender, and I am not sure if it has a boot scan feature, see if you have that option and do a scan with it. What other info can u give on the pop ups? can u check your task manager and see what unusual process is running when u get a pop up

4. TechImpaired

TechImpaired MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2008
    #5 TechImpaired, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
    (OP)
    The pop-ups pop up as regular browser windows. When they first pop up their URL is "cdltra.com" or something close to that, it flashes too quick for me to write it down. Then the URL quickly redirects to an ad page related to whatever the content was in the browser window that triggered the pop-up. So say if I'm on Google and I search "pizza" and click on a search result, the pop-up will appear as cdltra.com, then immediately redirect to an ad about pizzas.

I haven't been able to find which process this is in the Task Manager when it happens.

5. TechImpaired

TechImpaired MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2008
    Alright, I finally got the pop-up URL. It's: s04.cltrda.com

I ran a few different programs and found some malware and infected files. I also used HiJackThis to delete the EpicGames BHO. There haven't been any pop-ups since and that was hours ago, but the YouTube comments problem is still going strong.

6. TechImpaired

TechImpaired MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2008
    #8 TechImpaired, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
    (OP)
    It says "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.".

Well after the YouTube problem started I disabled the auto-update since the update seems to be what caused the problem. I think my last update was about a week ago. I think I know which update was performed before the problem started, but I don't know how to undo the update. I can see it on the update history, but when I go to the unistall updates screen the updates from that date range aren't listed there.