Virus that I can't get rid of!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by evotime, Nov 21, 2009.

1. evotime

evotime MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2009
    Okay so I was browsing around the internet and I stumbled upon a video. It prompted me to download a version of a player (I forgot the name). I thought something was fishy but I allowed it to execute. After turning it on after a shut down it gave me a warning that there was an error and it has to shut down. I've tried safe mode and tried running spyware programs, but nothing works. Everytime I would run a spyware program the spyware program will get detected and shut down. After that clicking on the program gives me an invalid path error. I've tried Malwarebytes, spybot, norton, and spyware doctor. Someone help! I don't know what to do know. The O.S. is Vista Home Premium.

My last resort is to install Windows 7 profressional through safe mode. Good or bad idea?

2. Shaun1982

Shaun1982 MDL Novice

Nov 19, 2009
    Boot from the dvd for win 7 and do a reinstall but dont reformat the harddrive that way you can keep your files, I'm pretty sure this works but you may want to confrim this as I myself have only done it with xp

3. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
  4. ccypher

ccypher MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2009
    #6 ccypher, Dec 12, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
    Regarding your matter

Just do a fresh install, try to see if u can save anything important first but if not do a fresh install.. and next time be careful.........

5. chaiilee

chaiilee MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    If you have a "legit" version of Vista, try Microsoft's Security Essentials. It's a pretty good software.

6. wintron

wintron MDL Member

Dec 4, 2009
    run ur antivirus and antispyware from safe mode

7. OmniBlade

OmniBlade MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    For stuff you can't clean from within windows (and there is malware out there that can run even in command prompt safe mode), you would need to boot into a windows PE environment (kind of like a live linux distro) that has the anti-spyware and antivirus tools installed and updated. Another alternative is a linux live distro itself, but the tools there will likely require more knowledge to be successful.

Upgrading from safe mode runs a high risk of preserving the malware if it is capable of running under windows 7 if upgrading from safe mode even works (not tried it myself). Shaun1982's suggestion will work in that it will probably prevent the virus from running in your new installation, but it will still be on the disk somewhere so you would need to run removal tools afterwards to delete the malware files in case there was something left you could accidentally click on to reinstall it.

ccyphers suggestion is probably the safest and the one I would recommend to anyone who isn't confident with command line or building their own windows PE disk to be honest though.

8. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    i use a program called remove it pro(free edition) that finds some viruses that others dont.it might work for you.good luck.

9. fastlane128

fastlane128 MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    #11 fastlane128, Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
    i hope this helps

more than likely it is spyware from the video download. cheek C:\Program Files\Common Files. Look for alg.exe CPAX20 (SornSoft). this one is sneaky because of the name (alg.exe).

Note: The alg.exe file is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32
    (Application Layer Gateway service is a component of the Windows OS(alg.exe)).

alg.exe is the reason most scanners miss this spyware.

to remove:
    1. task manager (alg.exe CPAX20) end task.
    2. C:\Program Files\Common Files (delete alg.exe CPAX20).

i hope this helps.

10. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Avast anti-virus has an option suited to this kind of thing. Select "run boot time scan". Scans the entire system before windows even loads, its very thorough and takes a long time but good ol Avast hasnt let me down in two years of use.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Fixing your Virus Issue

Malware Bytes is the best but, the Malware is not allowing you to run it....
    Go to the folder where Malwarebytes is installed, C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ and rename mbam.exe to something else like
    yourname.exe. Then try to run it via the installed folder not the shortcut.
    Here are the best antimalware programs to try:
    malwarebytes
    Superantispyware
    DrWebCurit
    Combofix
    Avira Rescue System-makes a bootable cd
    G Data rescue CD

12. FedUp

FedUp MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2009
    i had this same problem dowloading a movie. could solve it booting in safe mode, deleting alg.exe and another files created by the damn virus like abc.tmp, cde.tmp and others like this in C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp
    before that i used malwarebites in safe mode to clean all.

the temp files above i don't remember the names but is like as explained