Vista 64 runnin extremely slow

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dragonfire665, Feb 25, 2009.

1. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Ok i dont kno whats goin on with vista 64 but this is my 5 reinstallation of it. Out of the blue it will just not work propertly anymore. N what i mean by that is that it will run extremely slow, it will freeze will loading anything and i have to wait minutes and i mean a huge time for it to load. Today it did it again, it was running fine this morning, i left my computer on all day today i got back about 30mins ago (is 910P eastern time) and now it will take forever for anything to load. it just freezes and do nothing. I will wait and come back, then ill try to do somethin again and it will freeze agian and i have to wait for it to respond. I have not install anything since like last tuesday and it was running fantastic, which this was the reason y i have to reinstall Vista 64 Ultimate so many times. It keeps gettin to this point, and i have no way to resolve it, for some reason whenever this happens, i will lose all restore points so i can go back in time to a better perfomance and i will try a registry cleaner and it will take forever to load like anything that i will try when this happens. Even when i restart the computer it takes forever for anythin, once it gets to windows its forever for all to load and once it does its forever for anything else to happen, one at a time. What can i do?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Since vista64 requires signed drivers, most likely you installed the right ones. My guess is that the hard disk has gone bad.

Have you added new ram recently? Sometimes motherboards are very pick about ram.

3. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Are you using a loader or altered .ISO. I assume you are using a retail install?..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    yea it have 2 HDD one where Vista is install which is partition for half of it for programs n the other HDD is only as a backup. Regarding ram, no i havent i still have 6GB and i have not bough any new ones, the last thing i did was installing a game last week thats about it. N here it is doin this s**t again, it happens like every 2 weeks, as i said i installed Vista already 5 times, i want for it to stop doin so.

Right now i just finished doin a Check Disk and it came back with no problems. I also did a System Restore, back to 2 days ago, it did not work, it gave me a System Restore could not finished, you system files and data were not change, please try a different System Restore point, however when i went back to try a different one, now there is no System Restore point, so yea there goes that.

N oh yea i did a resgrity cleaner n that did not help

I cant believe this, i dont kno what can it be. I have to keep restartin the computer and it takes forever to restart and once it does, whenever i try to do somethin it will freeze and then come back to normal once whatever i ask start doin what it supposed to do, it will freeze again i cant work like this. I might have to reinstall Vista

5. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    im sorry but what do u mean? i dont understand, sorry

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Are you using a preactivated version with a bootloader, or did you use a vistaloader to activate.

Do you have a Slic bios or do you activate with softmods..??

7. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
  8. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    @911medic

i use a softmod to activate it, Vistaloader 2.1.2 it was the only one to work and the only one that actually does work. But the only way for it to work on me is by right clickin on it and installing it directly to my HDD as with administrator rights (even though im the only user for this computer)

@monk

i will try that right now, but here is a question, any reason why just out of the blue this would happen? n as i said is not the first time, the other time i had to reinstall windows was due to this same situation, once windows install, it will run perfect, amazin, n then like today for some odd reason this will happen

9. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    here is an attachment from the Process Explorer hopefully that will help, there i no viruses i checked, help me guys

Attached Files:

10. Carl

Carl MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2008
    When the system works fine then suddenly degrades there is a reason, if it is repeatable after a new install then either you are installing a program or subjecting yourself to a virus or you are having a hardware failure.

1. is your Vista disk genuine or a modified one off of a torrent site?
    2. are you loading any shareware?
    3. what are you using for a virus scanner?

If you believe that it isn't software related then look at your hard drive or possibly your ram. I have seen hard drive failures behave exactly as you describe, you reload the system, things run fine until something critical happens to be written to a bad sector or a sector fails that happens to have system files written to it. If you have dodgy ram it can corrupt data as it is written to disk causing system performance to decline over time.

11. foxhunter

foxhunter MDL Member

Feb 6, 2009
    You should check your running processes against HiJack This.

And you can install a harddisk Monitoring tool (e.g. Harddisk Sentinel) to see whats going on with the health of your harddisk. If the disk has to do a lot of remapping work, it slows down the system.

12. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #12 HMonk, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  13. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    HJThis

I think you will find, especially if you view both the upper and lower panes, that Process Explorer will give you more useful info than HJThis. HJThis simply IDs running processes and leaves it to you to ID their legitimacy and usefulness in your system. HJThis DOES NOT ID malware, viruses, etc.Trend Micro (who bought HJThis) states,

One thing I forgot to ask/mention: does your system run as slow in Safe Mode. If it does not, my operating presumption would be that the issue lies within the realm of software/drivers and not hardware. Additionally, Since this issue happened previously and was cured by a reinstallation, I think it safe to say that hardware is not the issue.

I forgot to mention in my previous post: although a royal pain, via msconfig, stop the launch of all your startup progs but one; reboot - note the effect. Then keep adding an additional startup prog, one at a time, to see if one of them causes the slowdown.

Monk

14. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    This is a Virus..ect

Make a clean istall of windows, install only the drives and after the updates, this (virus...etc.) don't let you reestore the system, make shure that in the instalation disk is clean format and nothing else and try it this way. Is possible that the reason is something you download (even a driver). You are never going to see nothing, I scanned with Kaspersky and don't find nothing. That work for me and another person, don't ask me what is really I don't know, be careful what you are installing after.Good luck;)

15. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    @carl

my vista is from a torrent site but is a retal Vista 64bit with all version and i just choose Ultimate since i dont have the initial keys when installing it and neither is SP1 intergrated so once install i have to update it. Also i use Vistalaoder 2.1.2 which is the only softmod that actually works for me i guess it might be due to my 780i EVGA. I will not modchip my board, but also kno that the only way Vistaloader 2.1.2 works on my computer is by actually right clickin on the INSTALL.DLL and running it as administrator, it will directly install onto my HDD so it will boot everytime with the computer n it never showed me any slowness or anything. It only adds like 1 more sec to the loading time.

Also i do believe that is a HDD issues, even though i used Western Digital Diagnostic Tool and check for bad sectors and errors and it found NONE, but yea im still suffering with this case. Again the symptons are VERY VERY VERY n i MEAN very slow loading, to even just open START it takes forever. Once i move the mouse it freezes, i have to wait to come back, i move it and it freezes, and im not just talkin about the MOUSE is anything, i can click on the Windows Key on the Keyboard n it will freeze too. I open my computer and that too, it takes minutes to come back, and even longer to do what i has to do. While making sure i had everything on my Backup HDD, it took me to copy a 100MB files 35mins, cuz it will freeze and restart and then go on the same cycle. Is that annoyin, and again it just starter out of the blue.

16. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    @monk

I will paste the CPU usage as i saw and keep lookin for 10mins it never went higher than 29% and my RAM was 1.9GB usage.

I did try SAFEMOOD that last time this happened, tryin to get to c if i was able to use SYSTEM RESTORE and at that point it actually move a bit better than NORMAL MODE if i recall correctly.

Regarding NVIDIA, i have not suffer any of those problems, and sorry for beig behind on my updates, i so busy i keep forgetting to updates my drivers. I will also try HIJCK THIS (if again my computer moves fast enough to get somethin done, i wont love this slowness is unbelievable) Also with CA Internet Security it found no Virus but a few Spyware easily remove.

Once CA Virus check was done my CPU Usage dropped down to 24%, but i should just take a pic so u guys can see. I do think i should just try to reinstall WINDOWS if it comes too that point even though i dont want it.

N also MONK how can i kill those processes permanately. Cuz none of those which i kno is not the same run at windows startup, the only thin i have is AIM n CA and Windows SIDEBAR, and here i so all this crap running, what that heck is all that???

17. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    A Clean install can help

If you check your hardware, shure all works ok fine, this are the symtoms I haved and a friend 8 thouthands miles away from here +/- the same I am not an expert
    a: Slows the machine and crashes it.
    b: Sometimes don't let you boot the machine even in safe mod.
    c: Some times you can not restore it, or if you do it dosn't work.
    d: Even for my friend Kaspersky don't work you can not do nothing run it, unistalled because all what he do a little movement with the mouse, crash the sytem and some times you have to shut down the machine. When it happens to me I was getting crazy really, later when my friend told me what was happening to him, I just told what I said to you.
    I check all my hardware no problem.
    Try to instal x32 version of vista and see what happens. This works better, smooth, and faster than x64 version, the problem you can not enjoy the 6GB of ram, but all almost all software today work in x32, tomorrow when all software becomes x64 you will really see the diference, not now only problems you are going to find and have, simple x64 systems have to make work x32 softwares this is an extra job don't you think?

18. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    @FABIGUI

i was thinkin of that, i do have the 32bit version but i will hate so much to go down to 32x and not be able to use all 6GB of RAM cuz they will be come useless. But it does make some sense, the only issue that i have is that i have not install anythin prior to this problem, the computer was runnin fantastic, and then i get home and its doin this crapp again

19. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    You just..

want a nice, smooth running computer, don't you? I tried x64 but really, it dosn't have any difference, has I said only problems, even I bought a new board so I can install more ram. When I came back to x32 OS I really feel the diference, my machine works fantastic I feel the diference, nothing works on 64 bit even acrobat 9 have a add on but the software runs in 32, with 4 GB of memory always use 1 GB and you have 3 to play with. Ok you just see 3.5 GB you can do almost everything today with this, or I am wrong? My computer never fill up all the amount of memory, so think about what is better for you:)

20. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    @FABIGUI

Well you do make lots of sense, and i just might as well go for that and give that a swirl and c if that by any chance had anythin to do with my recent crash and no so happy moments. I guess i can live with 4GB install and see only 3.5GB and deal with that