Vista activation gone

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by madaload, Jan 11, 2010.

1. madaload

madaload MDL Junior Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Hi,

Can somebody please point me to the thread that deals with Vista activation problems on W7+Vista dual boot systems? I think I saw it here in the past, but I don’t seem to find it.

I have made Vista32-bit/W764-bit dual-boot system on my Acer laptop, I’ve activated W7 using the W7 loader (by Daz?) and everything worked well until today. I've booted to Vista this morning, and I got prompted to activate it. I also have the ugly “This copy of Windows is not genuine” stamp in the right-bottom corner.

I tried to fix it by installing the ACER certificate and OEM serial, but it didn’t help. I have manufacturers original BIOS with SLIC 2.0, so I don’t understand why it suddenly stopped working.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    What does the SLIC show under Vista? Slic version 2.0 or 2.1?
    If it's 2.1 try installing the Windows 7 Certificate on the Vista installation using the vista key

3. madaload

madaload MDL Junior Member

Dec 20, 2008
    #3 madaload, Jan 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
    (OP)
    Thank you, FreeStyler. I’ve double-checked the SLIC and it is 2.0 like I said, but it seems Vista was activated already after I first re-installed the cert&OEMkey. Basically, the stamp in the bottom-right corner of the screen was lying (see the screenshot), because my windows passed the validation check on Micro$oft’s website.

What I did eventually is I have installed Vista Loader by Daz, restarted and then uninstalled it again. That’s because my Vista is genuine I didn’t want to keep software mod to make it valid. Also, the stamp was still there. After I uninstalled the mod, Vista went back to normal unactivated state without the stamp.

Then I installed the certificate and OEM number again manually. After restart, the silly stamp was gone and all was back to normal. I had to reinstall W7 loader though, because uninstalling it under Vista also somehow killed my W7 activation. After that all was good, but I am still curious as to why it all happened. I can’t think of anything but some kind of HDD of memory problem.

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Motoguru

Motoguru MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2010
    I had the same thing happen. The loader you used probably imbedded the slic2.1 into it and thus deactivated your Vista. I have yet found a way to dual boot Vista OEM and Win 7 and have them both activate with a loader. The Bios mod may be the only way I havent got the nerve to try it yet. Iam concerned that my factory installed Vista may not activate after the mod. But you can use the loader with both if you clean install an RTM version of both and dual boot. I did this on a test box with success.
    Choices aye. I preferred to keep my OEM Vista intact.