Vista BSOD

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by killah2km, Dec 17, 2007.

1. killah2km

killah2km MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2007
    Hi there, I reciently installed an EVGA 680i p31 modded bios and now vista gives me a BSOD, previously I had vistaloader 2.2 installed, and did not uninstall it prior to installing the modded bios.

I flashed back to my original bios and vista still gives a BSOD, also I am unable to uninstall vistaloader using voatk tools, the recovery option gives me an error saying that the program could not be executed, the last option I could think of was reinstalling vista over the current installation, but that option is greyed out and only allows me to do a full install and format my 500gb hd, I have very imporant files on that drive and cannot afford a reformat, any ideas?:confused:

2. peterpaulw

peterpaulw MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2007
    tsss,... back up your files BEFORE installing any cracks or bios mods :D

Before you reformat, there are a few ways to get your files back though:
    1. Boot from a Linux Live-Cd like Knoppix and copy your files to a USB stick or over the network
    2. Put the drive in a different computer and back up your files from there

3. killah2km

killah2km MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2007
    #3 killah2km, Dec 17, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
    (OP)
    I fogot to mention I have a dual boot xp/vista.. is there a tool I can use from the xp drive (I have 2 drives, Xp is on ide, Vista is on the Sata) to troubleshoot the issue?

4. killah2km

killah2km MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2007
    ok new problem.. I backed up all my files and formated the second drive that vista was installed on, I reinstalled vista now when it tries to load for the first time it crashes... I believe that vista loader installed something on my xp drive, is there anyway to remove this without having to kill my xp drive?

5. sadsac

sadsac MDL Junior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    #5 sadsac, Dec 18, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
    Some of the bios emulation software modifies the bootmgr file. If your dual boot system has XP on, say the 'C' drive, and you loaded vista on another logical drive, then the bootmgr file would be on your boot drive (your XP 'C' drive) instead of on the vista drive.

Note also that Vista SP1 changes the size of the bootmgr file, so bios emulation software that was able to write to the bootmgr file (including the ability to unistall an emulation mod from the bootmgr file) before SP1 was installed, might not be able to write to the bootmgr file after SP1 was installed. 'Vista Boot by gkend', for example, cannot write to the new SP1 bootmgr file, even if all permissions are set properly for write access.

So, you might want to check your XP drive and delete the bootmgr file before you reinstall vista again. Note that the file is hidden and write protected, so you will need to reset those attributes before you'll be able to delete it. Deleting that file should not effect the XP boot process.

Also, other bios emulation software may instead reside in the MBR on your boot drive, if that is the case you may need to rebuild the MBR using the usual windows command. You can usually tell that this is the case if you have a floppy and it is disabled by the emulation software in the MBR.

6. killah2km

killah2km MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2007
    That did not work but thanks for the help.. it was my memory, I have 4gb 1066mhz ram and vista refuses to boot with more than 2gb. I installed some update from the ms site and it fixed the issue.. it's just weird that it happened after I modded the bios..